AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say your on a budget, live in an apartment complex, and are dying for good audio, what order would you purchase your speakers in? Obviously a good pair of right and left speakers, but then what would you do next?

·
Registered
883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/12952210

Say your on a budget, live in an apartment complex, and are dying for good audio, what order would you purchase your speakers in? Obviously a good pair of right and left speakers, but then what would you do next?

Hopefully, wake up from the nightmare...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Haha...I have done this before and this is the order I bought them in. I obviously bought the left and the right first. Then I bought a sub. I then bought surrounds. I then finally got a center speaker. Then I bought my dipoles which replaced my previous surrounds. When I got a 7.1 receiver I then used the direct surrounds on the side and dipoles in the back.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Since I have a HTIB, to hold places for now....But anyway, I was thinking the same thing, my plan was to go Fronts (one their way) and then getting a center, then getting my surrounds and then getting the Sub.....like i said i have my speaker from my HTIB to hold player for now, so its a reason i chose this order....sounded like a good idea.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche951 /forum/post/12952269

Hopefully, wake up from the nightmare...

hahahaha it feels like im in one

·
Registered
883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly /forum/post/12952593

I think that guy was serious. He lives near Laguna Beach and his name is Porsche.... Yeah, he was serious.

I think Bigred7078 knows that I wasn't insulting him. You're right though, I was serious.

·
Registered
883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/12952562

hahahaha it feels like im in one

I see that you're a student. Study hard. I have lived in plenty of crappy apartments, now I own apartment buildings. Best Wishes.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche951 /forum/post/12952734

I see that you're a student. Study hard. I have lived in plenty of crappy apartments, now I own apartment buildings. Best Wishes.

Yeah i go to the University of Missouri. My major is personal financial planning, so if that clears things up thats why i dont really feel like putting all my money in one place right this second. I just spent a bunch of money on some separates from emotiva and also just picked up some towers. Then i set myself up with an IRA that i poured alot of money into. I dont live at a crappy apartment complex which i am very fortunate for. I just have been killing myself on what to get next. But i guess it doesnt matter that much since i will eventually get everything. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Start with the front 2 of course. Read some of the threads on using a "phantom center" so you can try to set it up right so the 2 speakers give you dialogue.

Then depending on your own preferences, your living situation (neighbors, space), and how the front 2 do in terms of bass - the center then the sub or vice versa.

·
Registered
291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/12952210

1) Left/Right Speaker

2) Center

3) Subwoofer

4) Surrounds Left/Right (5.1)

5) Decide if you want to go 6.1 or 7.1 in the future..if 6.1 get a center real channel...if 7.1...save up longer and by the surrounds for the back...

·
Registered
291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/12953744

Yeah i go to the University of Missouri. My major is personal financial planning, so if that clears things up thats why i dont really feel like putting all my money in one place right this second. I just spent a bunch of money on some separates from emotiva and also just picked up some towers. Then i set myself up with an IRA that i poured alot of money into. I dont live at a crappy apartment complex which i am very fortunate for. I just have been killing myself on what to get next. But i guess it doesnt matter that much since i will eventually get everything. Thanks for the help guys

You're a student. Screw it..take your money..put it into a decent enough HTIB. Use that until you're graduated, making more money, and/or living in bigger space. Then sell that HTIB (or use it for another room, office, basement, garage whatever), and get yourself a new home theater system to your liking. HTIB should cost around $300-1000 depending how low or high quality of one you get, and im sure you'll be happy with it for the time being..it's what i did in college.

~G

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspin2k1 /forum/post/12956743

You're a student. Screw it..take your money..put it into a decent enough HTIB. Use that until you're graduated, making more money, and/or living in bigger space. Then sell that HTIB (or use it for another room, office, basement, garage whatever), and get yourself a new home theater system to your liking. HTIB should cost around $300-1000 depending how low or high quality of one you get, and im sure you'll be happy with it for the time being..it's what i did in college.

~G

HTIB....i'd rather sell my kidney for the money....

haha im not that bad off, im currently using the LMC-1/LPA-1 combo from Emotiva (kicka$$) and i have a pair of Swan Diva 5.1's that satisfy my tower speaker craving. But i guess im more or less extremely confused what to go with next either a sub, or center, then surrounds. I will only be able to get one now for the next few months so i need it to satisfy my audio cravings. Either some sweet bass from a sub, or some awesome dialouge for movies from a center....the choice is making my mind explode, probably not a hard choice for some, but i like to make wise decisions and not regret it.

·
Registered
291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/12957306

HTIB....i'd rather sell my kidney for the money....

haha im not that bad off, im currently using the LMC-1/LPA-1 combo from Emotiva (kicka$$) and i have a pair of Swan Diva 5.1's that satisfy my tower speaker craving. But i guess im more or less extremely confused what to go with next either a sub, or center, then surrounds. I will only be able to get one now for the next few months so i need it to satisfy my audio cravings. Either some sweet bass from a sub, or some awesome dialouge for movies from a center....the choice is making my mind explode, probably not a hard choice for some, but i like to make wise decisions and not regret it.

Then stick with my first response:

1) Left/Right Speaker

2) Center

3) Sub

4) Surrounds Left/Right (5.1)

5) Decide if you want to go 6.1 or 7.1 in the future..if 6.1 get a center real channel...if 7.1...save up longer and by the surrounds for the back...

~G

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
nooooooooooooooooooooo, get the sub first and run it main+sub at all times. Then get a center. Whats the point of processing surround if you cant even hear below 40hz at best. Plus, when in stereo, (even with 5.1 source) youll at least have some kick ass bass. Get sub, to get the whole audio spectrum, then a center to have a 3.1. There is no point (in my opinion) in having a 3.0, but there is in a 2.1.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You know what's kind of funny - many "beginner's guide to home cinema" type articles mention "bla bla bla.... don't skimp on the center.... 60% of today's soundtracks come from the center...."

How did they come up with this figure??! And if it's true, why don't they just recommend getting the center speaker FIRST, if the fronts output 19% each at most (according to the guides figure)?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm happy with my 3.0 setup right now in my apartment. Going from 2.0 to 3.0 made a world of difference for me and I'm pretty happy I went with this setup instead of a 2.1.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryw /forum/post/12961658

I'm happy with my 3.0 setup right now in my apartment. Going from 2.0 to 3.0 made a world of difference for me and I'm pretty happy I went with this setup instead of a 2.1.

I bet your neighbors appreciate it more than you lol.

You know what? I haven't contributed once in this thread... how rude of me. I'll roll with the opinion of...

L/R > sub > center > rear L/R > 6.1/7.1

I also agree with the opinion of the center being extremely important but if you can live with phantom center for a while the sub will make a bigger impact no doubt. I've just started my own HT and went with onkyo 605 > polk rti8's and next I'm getting a sub then center and so on. I haven't actually received them yet so I can't comment on how well phantom centering actually plays out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What I did was this:
  1. Purchase bookshelf speakers and a center that matched them.
  2. Purchased a subwoofer.
  3. Purchased tower speakers for my fronts and moved my bookshelf speakers to the back.
  4. Purchased another subwoofer...

Worked well for me, and may work out for you to.... (provided you know what brand and series speaker you want to end up with)

Michael

1 - 20 of 38 Posts