AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here's the scenario... I live in a 3 story (actually 4 stories, but 1st floor is a parking garage) apartment complex and I'm on the first floor. I just set up my HT in the living room and need to figure out a way to get OTA HD. I previously had my tv in the bedroom and was able to receive most channels using the Terk HDTVa. However, now that I'm in the living room, I am getting very low signals and can't get a consistent picture with the HDTVa. According to antwennaweb.org, I'm about 30miles away from the broadcast towers. So here are the ideas that I came up with:

a. Get a better indoor antwenna? Maybe an omni-directional one would work better? Any recommendations?

b. I currently have SD Directv hooked up via oval satellite on the rooftop. Maybe I can get an OTA antenna that can hook up to the mast of that satellite? Could I then use a diplexer to combine the antenna signal with the satellite signal and use another diplexer indoors to split the signal again? Would I need any amps since I'm running the antenna signal about 50'? Any recommendations on an antenna? Keep in mind that this is an apartment complex, so I really have to get a decently small antenna (inconspicuous one), I can't legally put any more mounting holes onto the roof to mount the antenna, and I can't drill any more holes to run another coax into my unit.

c. Another option?

Oh, and in case it's necessary, I live in Long Beach, CA 90814.

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a recommendation of an antenna? Also, will the double diplexer setup work? Meaning, I can use one on the rooftop to combine the satellite and antenna feed into the existing coax running into my unit and then use another diplexer to split the signal into the tv and my directv receiver? The same diplexer will work?

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?prod=SPDX100

p.s. When you say 'mount right next to the dish', do you mean that it clamps onto the side of the oval dish? Will the antenna have any interference issues with the satellite or antenna signals?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 /forum/post/0

I was thinking of a clip on antenna like this: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=ANT3900

An antenna that looks like a bent coat hanger will work like a bent coat hanger. An antenna's design directly affects its performance.

A mount like this and a real antenna will be more effective.

-Robert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.