AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to see what I can put together for speaker packages minus the sub (have an STF-2) with $1,200 as my budget. I probably will not be buying until next year after I get my tax return and such and new models may be out by then but so far here as what I got…

Axiom Audio

M22 fronts

QS8 (or QS4) surrounds

VP150 center

$1220 (shipped) total (with QS8’s) $1120 shipped (with QS4’s)

Ascend Acoustics

CMT-340m fronts

CBM-170 surrounds

CMT-340c center

$1216 (shipped) total

Onix Rocket

ELT CSE fronts

ELT LRS surrounds

ELT-1 center

$1150 + Shipping

Honestly these online companies above along with others (HSU, SVS, ect.) really seem to offer the biggest “bang for you buck†with the risk that you cannot listen to them first. I know that Axiom and Ascend both offer a 30 day guarantee, so I would first buy just the M22’s and if I liked them get the rest, if not eat the return shipping and move on to say Ascend and buy just one set of speakers from them (probably the 170’s) to see if I like them. What are some other packages for just under or over $1,200 that you would recommend I check out? BTW my room size is 19 x 11 x 7 1/2.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I own Ascends (replaced Klipsches), and I can FULLY recommend them. Even my wife noticed the difference. They don't look like much, but they have it where it counts.

My friend has Axioms and loves them. Hearing them encouraged me to purchase new speakers... so they are certainly in the running.

Haven't heard Rockets, but from the research I did before I purchased Ascends, they are good too...

I know this doesn't sound like it's going anywhere, but...

I recommend the Ascends, especially if you are going with a HSU subwoofer. I have found them to be EXCELLENT for music, and movie dialogue and effects are sent through pristinely! The sounds kind of just float out in the air from the speakers--it's pretty amazing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Rockets.... especially if you're going to go CSE's up front. Good choice. As a side note, I heard about a trade in or something like that for people who will be upgrading to RS1000's. They'll be trading in their 750's which will mean there will be a GREAT buy on B stock 750's soon after.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
i have heard the axioms and really liked the sound......

if you go with any of these internet brands you will risk the shipping charges at least one way if you decide to send them back.....

have you listened to other speakers?.... there are many great speaker brands out there at some very good prices.... the jbl E series for example is a great value and offers a very good sound.....

good luck in your speaker "hunt"!

cheers!

:)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
RussK,

It has never been established that you actually heard the Rockets or Axioms either for that matter.

At one point you seemed very proud of the fact that you never had heard the Rockets, even distaining an offer to have a pair shipped free of charge so you could audition them in your own home. Please enlighten us. If you heard them at someones home, they almost surely are a forum member.

·
Registered
217 Posts
First, you should disregard tubeguy's opinions on Rockets, he has been previously banned under another alias (RussKon), is apparently working in audio somewhere, and has an anti-Rocket axe to grind. He grinds it very, very frequently.

In general, it seems like the comparison between the three seems to be 'bright/neutral/warm' for Axiom, Ascend, Rocket, in that order. But keep in mind that most people (myself included) have not heard speakers from all three manufacturers, so this particular topic has a real tendency to devolve into flamewar. Tread carefully.

I should mention, in passing, that the ELTs are apparently more neutral than the Rocket line, from what I have read... still a little warmer than Ascends, if I understood what I read correctly, but only a little.

There have been a few comparisons done, and you might want to look them up... perhaps other folks will have links handy.

If you know what kind of speaker voicing you like, you'll be able to pick more intelligently. If you don't know, you'd be smart to spend a day or two in brick and mortar stores, listening to different setups. Jot down what you like and don't like about each, and then post back here, saying "I like brand X but not brand Y"... that will help us figure out what sound you prefer so we can point you correctly.

That will also give you a chance to find out what B&M stores can offer you. You will probably find that online speakers give you a great deal more bang for your buck, but give the B&M's a chance too, just in case. Everyone hears a little differently, and there might be a real gem that will suit you perfectly sitting in someone's sound room right now. The Big Three internet speaker companies have great products, but they're not a guaranteed best match.... make them prove it. :) Some name suggestions: Klipsch, Cambridge Soundworks, Boston, Athena, Phase Tech, and possibly Sonus Faber Grand Piano(although I don't think they are in your price range, I have heard their sound is very similar to Rockets). Listen to Bose, but keep in mind that they are usually inferior to speakers costing a third as much. Make sure you can do an A/B with Bose, don't fall for their usual schtick of not letting you truly compare them with other speakers. (walking 50 feet is no good, you have to be able to a/b them within a few seconds.)

Disclaimer: I own a set of Rockets in the HT and a set of Ref1s in the bedroom. (both from Onix aka www.********** .) I drive both sets with Onkyo receivers. I like av123 a lot, they're a class outfit, but I would never point you at speakers I didn't think you would like.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Smi
Good call, but no one around my area is on those lists.
Post a request for an audition thread on the forums directly. Often someone who is not registered on audienvy.com or the Ascent/Axiom equivelent will spring up and volunteer. I've noticed that most owners of direct sales speakers are pretty anxious to show off their systems. You are in an area that ought to be easy to locate systems to audition if you are willing to drive a few hours.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Having heard all three this past weekend, the 340s should be compared to the Rocket 550s and Axiom M60. The Ascend 170, Axiom M22, and Rocket ELTcse should be compared to each other.

And yes RussKon/tubeguy44 is a noted troll that has been banned before. He is in the audio biz and absolutely detests the consumer direct sales model.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I agree with the above poster.. if you can wait about 30 days there will be alot of 750's coming back to AV123 due to a trade up arrangement to the new 1k's. They will be wanting to blow them out after a through check out. This will be a once in a life time sales event where folks can get into a pair of 750's that normally could not afford them. Don't do like I did and try to have a set of something everytime and then having to do a complete upgrade every year for a few years. Get good quality things like the 750's and as you have the money add timbre matched items from the same company like a 200 (bigfoot) center speaker (this thing is the best center in the world as far as I am concerned after being though alot of them in the past.) Then add the sides... I currently have the 300's by Onix/Rocket and they are wonderful. Good luck. You just might find out you can get a set of great speakers for the price your were going to pay for a lower range set.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would strongly recommend these for a tad over your budget

Freedom F-1 Mini Monitor-525.00/per pair

Seas 5" aluminum cone woofer & Vifa ring dome tweeter

x2 1050.00

Freedom FC-1 Center

2x Seas 5" aluminum cone woofer & Vifa ring dome tweeter

1400.00- Some quality drivers there for that kind of money..I bought ELT's for my GF last year and they are ok but would have definitely went this way if these were available then. Interested in used Elt setup ?

http://tyleracoustics.home.mindsprin...aker_line.html

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'm not knocking the 1801's but they start at $1,500/pr. Not only is that more than he wants to spend but since he will be using a relatively inexpensive reciever I would worry that they might be TOO revealing for his tastes. They use some of the best drivers in the world but that is a double edged sword when not used with electronics without major flaws.

For the cost of one pair of 1801s he could have an entire 5.1 setup including a subwoofer that would probably knock his socks off.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsalk
I don't mean to create a debate here, but a pair of Ellis 1801's would blow away all the speakers listed above - by a significant margin.

- Jim
I'd certainly hope that a $1500 speaker is better than a $3-400 speaker.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Quote:
I don't mean to create a debate here, but a pair of Ellis 1801's would blow away all the speakers listed above - by a significant margin.

- Jim
jim,

don't patronize the owners. do you sell these speakers? buy a banner. :mad:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Jim Salk- As a speaker builder I think you should follow Paul Scarpelli, Mike Dzurko, Ron and Tom from SVS, and Mark L. Schifter in clearly showing your affiliation with your company in your signature line.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Carl -

I understand your concern about source equipment. All I can say is that I have heard these speakers with some very inexpensive HT receivers ($300) and the results were very impressive.

As for a 5.1 system at the same price, I can't say I disagree. But if you start with great mains, you will have great audio from day one and can upgrade by adding more speakers later without having to take a loss on the speakers you originally purchased. It's just another approach.

metalaaron -

Dave Ellis is the designer of these speakers. You can see his web site at www.ellisaudio.com.

I admittedly have built a few pairs for some people, but only upon request. It is not my design. (I purposely avoided mentioning any of my designs which might also be applicable.)

I was merely responding to the original poster's question about other speakers he should consider. I think Dave sells his kit for under $700. Combined with pre-built cabinets, the result would be a speaker that is far superior and well within the original poster's budget. I think this is valuable information in this situation.

- Jim

·
Registered
757 Posts
jsalk,

:confused: i don't think it's valuable information and it does not apply to the poster's original question about a package. :confused:

Matt_Smi,

those are three reputable packages. it comes down to personal taste from there. all three companies are well worth a listen/debut.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:

I was merely responding to the original poster's question about other speakers he should consider. I think Dave sells his kit for under $700. Combined with pre-built cabinets, the result would be a speaker that is far superior and well within the original poster's budget. I think this is valuable information in this situation.

- Jim
It's not valuable information considering his theoretic limit is 1200.00 for 4 monitors and a center. Did you read the first post ?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.