AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some upcoming HDTV receivers are slated to feature only the bare-minimum of options for HDTV output through their component, RGB, and DVI connections. For example, based on current software specifications, the Dish 921 DVR and HDTV DirecTivo will offer option A (see poll) only.

Please indicate what output options and features you would prefer to see on your next HDTV receiver or PVR. Please read through all options, and select the one that is most important to you -- that will impact your buying decision. Poll results will be submitted to Hughes, Tivo, Echostar/Dish, and others.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Just curious. Wouldn't Option F - A & E be mutually exclusive? If all content was upcoverted to 720 or 1080, resulting in one output of either 720 or 1080, then why would you need discrete codes etc for all the formats?

While I like the concept of upconversion - I am somewhat cynical that the internal scalers in these boxes are as stellar as outboard ones or in some cases the display. I personally get a much better SD pic when my Panny handles than the 520. So for me the quesion would be...

Upconverted format - if the scaling were superior.

Therese

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wpw,

Quote:
Just curious. Wouldn't Option F - A & E be mutually exclusive? If all content was upcoverted to 720 or 1080, resulting in one output of either 720 or 1080, then why would you need discrete codes etc for all the formats?
Some may prefer a single output format for other reasons (ex: can only optimize their display settings for one format at a time as on some older projectors), but wish to change in special circumstances, or change if they find that a particular channel looks better in a different format.

Some people may also wish to split a connection and run a cable to different televisions / displays, in which case a remote button or discrete IR code could be used to switch to the format most appropriate for the particular display in use. For example, I have a front projector and Samsung DLP, and though I use two separate boxes for these now, it would be nice to have a single HD PVR to use for both (i.e. using DVI splitter).

Others may have elected to choose that option instead of D., for which I did not include an option for the remote button / discrete IR codes in the poll.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could I get a few more votes?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I voted for A. However I would like the ability to try B as my TV will automatically switch between 480p/i and 1080i (it does this as I switch DVD to/from the HD STB. If my TV would support it I would be interested in C.

I would also like a STB to optionally output 1080p so that if the broadcast was 1080p, and I got a TV that would display 1080p natively, then I could watch a 1080p display.

Rick R

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I think that future STB's need to have a combination of B & C. B for TV's that don't support both 720p & 1080i and C for those that do.

Ultimately, a perfect STB would have a setup menu page that would allow the owner to decide what output format he (or she) wants for each of the 4 possible input formats. I think that this would me more of a "set it and forget it" type option than the remote control option. I don't think that I'd want to have to manually change the output format whenever I changed the channel to a channel with a different format.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.