AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have for some time been wondering what pattern should be used for what display? I appreciate that this is likely to be a subject full of religion and prefences but here goes as far as I have been able to understand

Plasma: 10% windows 22%apl

LCD: Fields

LED: Fields

DLP fvp: large 22APL

LED fvp:???

SXRD fvp: large 22APL

RPTV: large 22APL

Others I'm missing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
With some LED sets (and LCD sets can follow the same guidelines) using window patterns gives dramatically lower Y readings than using fields, and the fields result is more consistent with the subjective brightness of the image. It's because of the dimming on some LED sets- when only a small area of the screen is lit, they dim the LEDs.

For that reason I would not recommend regular windows for them. I use full field on all LED/LCDs, though I imagine large APL windows might be OK also.

Also, some DLP and SXRDs have a dynamic iris. On the Mits DLP RPTVs sometimes it cannot be defeated. It is best to use large APL patterns on them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I will update the first post as we go along.

Regarding projectors and large apl patterns, I assume that is to avoid contamination of the readings. Are we looking at 25% windows or even larger?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Sorry for the confusion... I meant large as opposed to the small APL patterns on the AVS 709 disc. The reason is the small ones can cause problems with meter aiming in some situations, and I'm not sure if there is enough picture area to avoid LED dimming and/or iris closing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not sure we are misunderstanding each other at all, I think we are bot taking about window size, the reason I ask is because I want to create the patterns for the GCD disk, would 35% windows with a fixed 22%fixed APL be suitable?

and yes by contamination of the readings i was referring to fov.

·
Registered
487 Posts
For plasmas i stick to windows of approx 10-15% panel area size. Apl's just cause the ABL to kick in, checked this with the AVS disc. Ftl with windows approx 45, with APL's 42.

·
Registered
12,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B  /t/1420057/what-pattern-for-what-display-type#post_22216216

For plasmas you need to use windows. The question is what size (and type- APL or regular) windows is best. For regular windows, personally I like very small to small.

What size (in % of total screen area) do you use?

I think the AVS disc uses 15% windows.

·
Registered
12,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anta1974  /t/1420057/what-pattern-for-what-display-type#post_22216341

THX uses for plasmas 12%

do you mean the THX Calibrator's Disc?

·
Registered
6,804 Posts

·
Registered
9,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U  /t/1420057/what-pattern-for-what-display-type#post_22216412

do you mean the THX Calibrator's Disc?

THX Calibration Disk has 5% Square Window Patterns for Grayscale.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Power-limited displays; CRT, Plasma, OLED: Square 1% Area patterns. (alternatively, 22% constant APL patterns though this would not be my choice)

Non-limited display types; LCD, DLP, SXRD: Full field patterns.

·
Registered
12,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anta1974  /t/1420057/what-pattern-for-what-display-type#post_22217588

1% windows APL or 1% windows ?

LED = OLED ?

or LED=LCD ?

LED is a kind of LCD (aka LED-LCD) but OLED is not

·
Registered
12,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anta1974  /t/1420057/what-pattern-for-what-display-type#post_22219910

New Spears&Munsil disk 8% patterns

when is it coming out?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts