AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What PC, PS2 and / or X Box game (or game/s, if you reckon a few qualify) do you reckon has the best sound compared to other games (as in the best sound mix,

best sound design, best sound effects, etc.) when played through any decent speaker system and through any decent, above average home theater system/s and please elaborate on your reason/s why, for each game/s mentioned.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I know it's not one of the most "audio-demanding" 5.1 games out there, but I really like the 5.1 mix on MVP Baseball on Xbox. The rears have a great sound to them with the crowd and comments in the background.

Matt

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I haven't heard anything better than Doom 3 for the PC with the EAX 4.0 Advanced HD patch applied. The ambient and environmental sounds are dead-on with movie-like bass response. It's one of those games that you have to hear for yourself in order to believe it.

Half-Life 2 also sounds excellent. The positioning of the audio is flawless and it provides such an immersive experience that you really feel that you are in the center of the action. The tremendous variety of the sound effects is great as well.

There are some decent sounding Xbox games that I can think of like Halo 2, but I never found the Xbox to sound nearly as good as an EAX 3.0 and 4.0 HD equipped PC.

·
Registered
682 Posts
One game that comes to mind that has amazing DD5.1 sound is Brother in Arms road to hill 30 on Xbox. The other one is Call of Duty on PC.

·
Registered
378 Posts
There are many games which have good soundtracks, but few games have the complete package with the sound effects + good soundtrack.

I'll have to pick up Doom 3 if it has sound as good as stated above.

I have to give thumbs up to Call of Duty for recent games I've played. I have a pb10 subwoofer and it absolutely shakes the walls during explosions. There is a lot of deep immersive effects for the battlefield in this game. Plus the soundtrack is good as well. The fanfare theme music works for that era.

Halo of course is another one. During the final part of the game where you are driving that jeep machine thingy trying to escape and you only have like 5 mins to get out or something the rock soundtrack is playing and there are a few jumps you can make. The cool thing is when you take those jumps the soundtrack responds, and sort of plays a long note while the jeep is in the air. I was pretty impressed by that.

I was not as impressed with the soundtrack of Halo 2. They didn't need Incubus to write songs for the game. The Incubus songs are very flat and undynamic music that don't seem to fit. It takes a lot of care to get a rock song or metal song to fit with a game and the original composer did it brilliantly. The original sound designer from Halo should have had complete control but like anything else, they think some name band or voice actor is going to sell more games. Rant over.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Doom 3 for PC was mentioned, Doom 3 for xbox gets the nod as well. Probably the creepiest and most atmospheric 5.1 mix i've heard on a console game. I liked

Kill.Switch as well. The sounds of bullets whizzing and explosions are strong in the rear channels. As Oktoberrrust mentioned, for a sports title you can't go wrong with MVP's audio. The food vendor behind you is yelling at a dad to buy his kid an ice cream helmet while you're trying to make contact, you feel like you're there. Burnout 3 is also a good suggestion, but when you boost, it makes a jet noise that's so loud that it opretty much drowns everything else out. In the demo for Burnout 4 I noticed they changed the boost noise to more of a jet "whistle." Now you can still hear all the effects while you boost.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarauko
All the tom clancy games have excellent uses of positional audio and bass-ful explosions.
True. This especially applies to Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.