AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a HS10 off ebay. A new one not a refurb. What do I need to look out for? Some are selling the Japanese version on there. It seems you can get one for under $2500.00

Is this a good or bad Idea? Where else could I get one for a better price? Any thought would be greatly appreciated!

Thx

Flan

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just be aware there is a ton of scam artists selling high dollar items. Projectors are a hot one.

If the guy wants to be paid with Western Union, run. If he says he is from someplace other than he claims (i.e. Slovakia or somesuch), run.

Otherwise be very cautious where you send your money over Ebay for big stuff. You are probably better off paying the extra ~100 or two for the comfort of a real storefront.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Why not just buy one from TokyoDirect, an AVS sponser. They are selling for $2450, I believe.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Didn't I read that most of the projectors coming from TokyoDirect are the Japanese versions (this could have just been a rumor though)? If that is true, unless you can read Japanese you might be in trouble!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Same projector, same multi-language documentation. Different warranty.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Same projector, same multi-language documentation. Different warranty.
I was actually referring to the menus. Don't the Japanese versions have Japanese text menus? This is the problem I have read about in that sometimes folks order from these places and low and behold, they can't read anything on the setup screens! DOH!

Can anyone confirm or deny if this is true with what TokyoDirect sells? As I mentioned, what I heard may have just been a rumor.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You can probably do 2 minutes of searching on the internet and figure out how to change the hs10 menus to english. The english version is exactly the same as the japanese; the only difference is one comes with the menus defaulted to english. Certainly much easier than trying to undo an ebay scam... Ebay is a horrid, horrid, horrid place to buy a projector. You would be so much better off buying from a place like TokyoDirect or getting a used one from a trustworthy forum member.

Mike U.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Uther
I was actually referring to the menus. Don't the Japanese versions have Japanese text menus? This is the problem I have read about in that sometimes folks order from these places and low and behold, they can't read anything on the setup screens! DOH!

Can anyone confirm or deny if this is true with what TokyoDirect sells? As I mentioned, what I heard may have just been a rumor.
User selectable language. Someone here can walk you through which menu options are for language selection.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ebay Seller RKmedia is reputable and has the feedback to prove it. He sells several high end projectors on Ebay. I had mine in 4 days from my order and shipping from Japan was $75.

It came Double Boxed and I have had zero problems others have encountered. If you do your homework and take precautions, Ebay can be a great resource.

Michael

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Uther
... Don't the Japanese versions have Japanese text menus? ... As I mentioned, what I heard may have just been a rumor.
The HS10 is manufactured and distributed world wide in Japan. The default setting has the menus in English. Looks like a rumor if it was specifically about the HS10. Panasonic is a different kettle of fish. There is a domestic version and an export version.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm thinking of buying thru e-bay from Yasuki Oba in Japan his price is the best $2290 US. New unit, A stock, with english manual and buttons!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.