AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 is my next scheduled system upgrade. That's when I will be selling my house and moving. Kids will be finished with high school, I'll be an empty nester, etc. But since my kids will (I hope) be in college, the budget will be limited.

So what will $2,000 get me in 2007? For a system that will 75% DVD (HD-DVD, I hope), 20% HDTV and 5% SDTV in a light controlled environment, what will our ever-improving technology have to offer? Will we be at 720P? 1080P? 4k? Will DLP be king of the hill, or will something supercede it? Any surprises in the offing?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I should be done with my X1 by then, if you want to buy used. :p

But seriously, that's a LONG ways off in technology-years. You'll probably have to decide whether to go with a high-end 2D projector or one of the new low-end Holographic projectors. ;)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Are you kidding me? I just don't get these types of questions. If someone knew the answer to that, they would also be sitting on top of the next 1,000 winning PowerBall tickets.

Unless someone from one of the manufacturers, like TI, Epson, or Sony wants to chime in with their strategic direction, which coincidentally would get said person fired if their identity was discovered, it is completely random speculation as to what may be available in three years. Case in point, did the general public even suspect that there was such a thing as a stealth fighter in 1983, let alone one that was in production? Maybe an extreme example, but no one in the general public really knows what's cooking in these companies R&D labs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HorrorScope
Lets hope by then we have 720P DVD's or better. How it's looking now we may never get this.
I think things will look a lot different on this front by the end of 2004 with WM9 just starting to add titles. The first batch were mostly IMAX (or IMAX type) films, but I don't expect that trend to continue into next year. Of course if will be a long time before we have the number of 720p (or higher) disks that we see now with DVDs, but I think we'll see quite a bit of progress over the next couple of years.

--Darin

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I should have posted in one of the high-priced forums, where the readers really do know the future!

Moore's Law would suggest that content should double every 18 months. Two doubles times 720P gets us past 1080P. But these advances are discontinuous, as they take the form of consumer products. I don't expect 1440P will see the light of day as a comumer product. Perhaps it will be 1080P with 3-chip set-ups that eliminate the DLP color wheel.

Where do I place my order?

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Darinp2: I hope so.

Imo this is the as big as any news of new projectors hitting the streets. I already outclass the media today and if this media would simply match my projector max spec I can tell you right now from the Coral Reef adventure, I'd be happy till 20xx? For a long time.

So as some focus on better projectors I'm focusing on better content. What is 1080P gonna do for me today?

·
Banned
962 Posts
I just had a scary thought: I currently am adding to my DVD collection steadily. I have about 100 now. When the day comes that HD DVD or something similar comes out, all my DVDs will be inferior. Thats a sad expensive thought...

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
What will $2000.00 buy in 2100?

·
Registered
918 Posts
There might be a LCOS unit from some other than JVC by then. :)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Anyone think we might see a non-CRT that does 1620i/p or even 2430 i/p by 2007?

If 1080p hits the market now, why couldn't 1620i hit the market in 2005/2006?

Surely it's possible, especially considering an article I read about Japanese engineers who invented UDHV. 6000 lines of horizontal resolution. Apparently the eye cannot tell the difference between UDHV images and reality and test audiences in Japan who have seen this UDHV (in limited fashion, of course) get sick because there of the movement on the screen yielding a "Sitting in a drive-thru car wash" feeling: You aren't moving, but with the parts moving around you, you get that sensation.

Perhaps UDHV in our lives is 10-15 years away, meaning that in 2007 we'd see 1620p and 2430i PJ's....I dunno...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.