1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried:

Sharp m20x - too bad !

Sanyo 37 - a little better

Sanyo plv-60 ,Sony 10HT ,11HT -acceptable, but.... :)

My screen size - 100" ( 2.0X1.5 meter)

Distance - 4 meters

Most of my LD's are 4:3 , but i'll watch DVD's too (16:9)

Please, help! Any advices will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
28,687 Posts
What in particular didn't you like about the M20X?

What model of LD player are you using? Perhaps an upgrade in that area is the first place to start.

I watch laserdiscs on my NEC LT-240 and can get a nice picture, but I usually watch them at the smaller "window mode" resolution so that less scaling is required.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M20X : unwatchable picture, a lot of digital artefacts - lines look like "stairs", solarization - very bright lights become blue,green etc.

My LD players are Pioneer 2950 ( good in PAL) and Pioneer 925.

I have also Sony 850 with RGB out, but didn't try it yet.

I want to see NEC 240 and Panasonic lc75 ( what do u think about it?)

Thanx for your answer.

·
Registered
28,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbit
M20X : unwatchable picture, a lot of digital artefacts - lines look like "stairs", solarization - very bright lights become blue,green etc.
As far as the "stairs" go, that sounds like it could be a deinterlacing problem. I run my LD player through an IScan v2 deinterlacer rather than using the one in the projector. The IScan also allows me to use the projector's component input. The LT-240's S-video input isn't so hot (colors are dull), and I hear the same about the M20X.

Perhaps something like that would help?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Either use a seperate deinterlacer/scaler, or get a projector with DCDi built in. Try the Infocus X1.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
One of the issues is going to be Y/C separation. (This may or may not be part of your problem.)

LD's have color and luminance stored together in the NTSC format, so it needs to be separated. LD players that have Y/C (S-video outputs) do it in the player. (There are also issues with how individual players handle this; see posts in the appropriate forum.)

So, you need to get good Y/C separation. One thing to do is to try both the composite and the S-video outputs from the LD player to see which works better. Another is to get a good side processor with a really good comb filter for Y/C separation. Finally, there are some Japanese players that handle this a lot better (again, see appropriate forum).

Thankfully, DVD's do not mix chroma and luminance, so when you use S-video or component outputs from a DVD player, you do not get these particular problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Either use a seperate deinterlacer/scaler, or get a projector with DCDi built in"

Could you explain what "DCDi" is? And what PJ's ( preferably LCD ) besides Infocus X1 have it ?

TIA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.