AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there....glad to be aboard............

Now on to business.......here it goes....

I bought a 50" panny trough craigslist.....the seller was selling a TC-P50S1 on the ad....I called him and told him I was interested but he said it was sold...BUT, he told me that he had another one, but wasn't sure if he was going to sell it. A few minutes later he told me he would sell it.

It was a local pick up and was a 2+ hr drive for me, so a friend of mine who lives in the area did me a favor, so he picked it up for me. I told him to inspect the set and make sure it turned on and everything. He told all was fine and I said go ahead. Pay him and lets get it done.

Now..............here is the scenario.....

When I got it (he brought it to me since he was coming my way) I noticed that the outside box said TC-P50G10 and I'm like WTF??? Did a get a better deal with a G10 instead of the S1?

I decided to take a look, so I pulled the box off and I just looked at the back and saw that original sticker stating it was indeed the g10 model and manufactured in OCTOBER 2009. It was late and dark so I just went ahead and put the box back on top.

Well, today I went to my storage (that is where I left it) and brought it home there was a BIG surprise..........

I noticed that the G10 has 3 HDMI (1side) and PC Input also THX and yadda yadda yadda.........U know the difference between them....and the S1 does not PC Input but DOES have 3 HDMI inputs (1 side).........WELL.....to my SURPRISE, I noticed that this tv DOES NOT HAVE 3 HDMI inputs, it only has 2 on the back and none on the side. It HAS NO PC Input on the side, but DOES have an SD Card slot. I doesnt have the ethernet connector on the back that the G10 has.

On the back, it only has 2 HDMI, S-VIdeo, 2 component IN, digital audio output, Video input (Video/Audio)and that is it. On the side, it has an SD Card slot, and Video Input/Audio.

If I go in to the menus, I do not have the THX options. I basically have very simple menus and not very much options.

I went in to the version menu and got this output:

TV: 0170-1410

Status 1: 51002-10016

Status 2: 00000-00000

HDAVI: Control 4

The TV still has the plastics on the the bezel, it has the long sticker on the upper corner that says Viera C 600hz V Link and all the other icons.

I turned the tv on, and id does pick up OTA digital ch's, picture looks AWESOME, in the menu, it has the SD Card setup, audio setup, language, etc etc but not the advanced menus that the G10 supposedly has. It does not have the game option either, but I did notice that it has a GAME name to tag the inputs. If I go to the input menu, it will only show 2 HDMI inputs. On the audio menu, I only get TV & Theater options (If memory serves me right)

The screen does not look glossy, so I would like to say that is has one of those AR screens.

Also, how do I know if its 720p or 1080p? ( I really don't have any 1080p device to test it, so another method of testing would be great)

So............... what the hell did I purchase?!?!?!?

Is there a way to really know what TV I really have???

What I am thinking, is that maybe the switched the side and back boards and by doing so, that TV downgraded to another model (The model of the board they used) ???? Could that be the case??

Any Help would be appreciated!!!!

THANKS!!!!!

·
Registered
16,007 Posts
You got ripped off. Probably an old model (with a G10 sticker on the back). I would call him back and threaten to call the cops if he doesn't give you a refund (I know, a 2+ hour drive back). How much did you pay?

·
Registered
430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cks6969 /forum/post/18263385

The TV still has the plastics on the the bezel, it has the long sticker on the upper corner that says Viera C 600hz V Link and all the other icons.
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

might be a C series based on what you're saying.

Does the label on the back look like it's been tampered with? (more than likely it is, if it says G10 on it)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The label on the back does not look tampered in any way. It is in mint condition.

Also, I would like to mention again, that the tv is in brand new condition with plastics all around.....

Also, I believe I got deal even if it where to be a C1 series...(I think, I paid $550.00)

Also, the C1 series does not appear to had an SD Crad reader......this one does....

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cks6969 /forum/post/18263553

Also, the C1 series does not appear to had an SD Crad reader......this one does....

according to the page I linked:

Quote:
Share Your Digital Photos on the Big Screen

VIERA Image Viewer provides a better way to share your digital photos. Just pop your SD memory card into the handy slot, and instantly display your digital photos for friends and family.

hope that helps sort it out...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck9 /forum/post/18263606

according to the page I linked:

hope that helps sort it out...

Sorry speck9.............I did not see it at first....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even if it where a C1 series.......is it still a good tv for the next few years.....or do I really get a newer model.

I am planing to use it for OTA ch's, eventually a BD player, and most importantly an HTPC rig, with the BD coming from the HTPC and cutting the BD player. I could maybe go with a PS3 down the road, but the chances are low....

Any input appreciated...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a way to test and see if my display has 1080p and that is 600hz?

Those are my 2 most important features.....

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would take it back just on principle that the guy lied to you and he stole your money . I hate liers and thieves.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Send it a 1080p PC signal as well as a 720p PC signal. If it's 720p, that resolution will look far cleaner than 1080p on it.

It sounds similar to the Pananic 50x1/50x14 based on the layout you said. If so, it is a 720p display and you got ripped off sortof. Which is to say you basically paid full price or maybe a little more.

Call Panasonic and tell them you no longer have the box that came with your set and you wanted to check the specifications for compatibility with a home theater system. Give them the TV number and ask them for the correlating model number.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cks6969 /forum/post/18263385

....I noticed that the outside box said TC-P50G10 and I'm like WTF??? Did a get a better deal with a G10 instead of the S1?

I decided to take a look, so I pulled the box off and I just looked at the back and saw that original sticker stating it was indeed the g10 model and manufactured in OCTOBER 2009. It was late and dark so I just went ahead and put the box back on top.

.... this tv DOES NOT HAVE 3 HDMI inputs, it only has 2 on the back and none on the side. It HAS NO PC Input on the side, but DOES have an SD Card slot. I doesnt have the ethernet connector on the back that the G10 has.

On the back, it only has 2 HDMI, S-VIdeo, 2 component IN, digital audio output, Video input (Video/Audio)and that is it. On the side, it has an SD Card slot, and Video Input/Audio.

If I go in to the menus, I do not have the THX options. I basically have very simple menus and not very much options.

So............... what the hell did I purchase?!?!?!? Is there a way to really know what TV I really have???

What I am thinking, is that maybe the switched the side and back boards and by doing so, that TV downgraded to another model (The model of the board they used) ???? Could that be the case??

Your description of the side input jacks matches what's on the 720p C1 model which is the lowest model of the 2008 lineup. I think it's the only 2009 Panasonic Plasma that does not have a 3rd HDMI input on the side. The X1 and U1 have a 3rd HDMI on the side, but i don't know if the S14 or X14 has a side HDMI or not.

It's easy to make a counterfeit model/date code sticker and slap it on the back, or he could have cobbled up that TV using the rear panel and cardboard box from a G10. Or it could be an even older model from 2008.

Does the serial number on the carboard box's sticker match the serial number on the TV itself?

Is the front plastic bezel a semi-flat matte finish or a very shiny piano black finish?

Is there a big frowny curve in the bezel under the screen?

Can you get your money back? Did you buy it from a store or a shop or a private owner? What city are you in?

Can you take some good pictures of the front bezel and stand and jack packs and stickers and post them up so we can take a look?

Personally, i think the seller did a bait and switch and defrauded you. You should go get your money back. I hope you didn't pay more than $400 for that junker !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I am stuck with this tv......

I am actually south of the border...(MEXICO), the tv was bought in LA (Hollywood) and picked up/paid on a warehouse on Hollywood.

I did not go and pick it up personally, so I didn't see the tv until the next day when my friend came from LA to San Diego. Obviously I cannot blame my friend since I gave him specific details to pick it up, pay for it and then he even brought it to me to San Diego.

I then had to export it (pay taxes, to get it in to the country (around 16.00USD))

So unless I can get some good info and really find out what I have in my hands, I will either keep it, or try to sell it here in MEXICO. Which I believe I can sell for the 550.00 I paid and the 16.00 for the export. So selling it for 570.00 would not be so hard ( At least that is what I think, lol)

Thanks all for your reply's/thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The sticker on the from of the set says "Viera C" on it. I think it's probably a C series with either a replaced back panel or serial sticker on the back. Have you tried running 720p and 1080p signals to it through your PC to see if you notice a difference. If it's not the G10 it will look nice and sharp at 720p, but look considerably worse especially for text at 1080p. If it's 1080p, 1080p text on webpages, windows, etc... should look as sharp or sharper than a 720p signal. If it is only 720p, the 720p signal would appear sharper.

Where did you buy it from?

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's a C series and it has been re-badged. It's the Canadian model too. They probably picked it up in B.C and shipped it down the coast. It's a good entry level tv, but not what you expected and not what you paid for.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cks6969 /forum/post/18266916

The pixs look with a lot of dust, but everything, including the stant are brand new with no scratches. You can even see the plastics on the front of the screen.....

That does appear to be a C1 model. The stand is from a G10 though, so i bet that retailer/wharehouse got stuck with a G10 with a broken screen or some other defect so they transplanted the G10's rear cover and stand onto a much cheaper C1 model then put it into the G10's carton and fraudulently sold it as a G10. The serial number sticker is stuck to the rear cover so it would match the number on the carton if they both came from the same G10.

Here's a link to download the C1 manual:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCP42C1.PDF

How about giving us the name and address of this scammer?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I've seen this done from salvagers that throw pieces of busted sets together to make a good one (replacing stands, bezels etc.), but they're forthcoming about it if they're legit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18268265

That does appear to be a C1 model. The stand is from a G10 though, so i bet that retailer/wharehouse got stuck with a G10 with a broken screen or some other defect so they transplanted the G10's rear cover and stand onto a much cheaper C1 model then put it into the G10's carton and fraudulently sold it as a G10. The serial number sticker is stuck to the rear cover so it would match the number on the carton if they both came from the same G10.

Here's a link to download the C1 manual:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCP42C1.PDF

How about giving us the name and address of this scammer?

I am not defending him in any way, but I DID NOT purchase as a G10, supposedly, it was an S1. Of course that does not get him of the hook, but the S1 is 1080p and obviously has better PQ, with a few add-ons this set does not have.

BUT, since I did not pick it up personally, I did not realize what happened until the unit was literally in my hands.

My friend picked up the set in the Hollywood area, in a warehouse. Obviously he did not know anything about tv's, so my friend just turned it on, saw video, he saw no scratches and everything looked OK, so he paid and got the set.

I will ask him for the address, as he gave it to him to go pick it up. I don't even know the address, but he DOES since he picked it up........

Now..........the final cost in my house comes to 570.00 USD............Its going to be very hard for me to drive 2+ hrs, pay for gas, and literally waste a whole day t go back and return it, and who know if I will find him, or that he will actually be there if I where to tell him that I am going for a refund......

...........so my question is......should I try to sell it here locally and get my money back (obviously I would not try to scam anyone) and go for another set?

Or will this set serve me good for the next few years.....

Like I said, I will watching OTA HD tv (ABC,CBS,FOX,NBC etc etc), I WILL be using it with my HTPC rig and running BD playback from my HTPC, may, just maybe going for a PS3 down the road.......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts