AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through the threads it seems like there are issues across the board.

Is there anything that just works the way it is supposed to ?

A 58" screen would be best for me.

Anti-glare screen is a must have.

Overall 2D picture quality is top priority, don't care one way or the other about 3D but is those sets are better then that is the route I will take.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Burn-in and Buzzing for Samsung

Rising Blacks and floating blacks for Panasonic

Reflections, Burn-in, energy costs, and higher failure rate for LG. No perfect tv unfortunately but maybe Samsung is closest to perfect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sure you'll hear a lot here. But having sold TV's for 4-5 years, Pioneers -> Panasonic -> Samsung -> LG was the way we saw them go. Panasonic now being the leader in reliability.

But it's always wise to invest in good surge protection. Samsung offers good value for the size. LG offer's nice THX panels for the price, and a lot of calibration tweaks in most of their models.

Panasonic's will be reliable, I prefer the picture quality, and although they might cost a bit more for a 58" screen, you have a couple model choices anyways. I would always recommend a Panny. But everyone makes a nice TV.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster1978 /forum/post/0

I'd say if you're an average TV user just about any TV you pick will not have noticeable issues.

Totally agree !

Don't just make your decision based on this forum. If you go to places like Amazon and BB and read the reviews it will give you a much better feel for what the average user thinks. While this forum is always a starting point for me , I find average user reviews on retail sites to be very helpful as well.

Nothing is perfect , you will find problems of some sort with anything you buy.

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_1986 /forum/post/19624907

I'm sure you'll hear a lot here. But having sold TV's for 4-5 years, Pioneers -> Panasonic -> Samsung -> LG was the way we saw them go. Panasonic now being the leader in reliability.

I'm confused in your placement order, is that from best to last or last to best? Are the Pioneer's best for reliability or worst?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Problem is, reliability != issue free. I've seen more people complain about Panasonic's rising/floating blacks than I have from any LG issues. In other words, people may have more failures with LGs, but may find more things wrong with Panasonics.

But as others have said, if you not over-obsessive, you'll likely be happy with any of these.

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_1986 /forum/post/19625751

Best to last. Pioneer being hands down, the best.

My Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD was a open box about 2 weeks old when we bought it last January, it's been great! We got it from a respected high end boutiqie store (The Natural Sound) in Framingham Massachusetts which is a official authorized Pioneer dealer. I'm very fortunate and greatful we have it, I hope it lasts a long time!

http://www.natural-sound.com/

·
Registered
136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer /forum/post/19625798

My Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD was a open box about 2 weeks old when we bought it last January, it's been great! We got it from a respected high end boutiqie store (The Natural Sound) in Framingham Massachusetts which is a official authorized Pioneer dealer. I'm very fortunate and greatful we have it, I hope it lasts a long time!

http://www.natural-sound.com/

A little crowded in the store, but seems to be the only place around town that carries McIntosh. Not a bad place.

I've had an 151FD as well and its been good to me (so far).

Word on the street is Panasonic (the new models)!

·
Registered
15,956 Posts
IMO Samsung has worse reliability than other brands, although the failure rates are pretty low across the board.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate the feedback and welcome others to participate if so inclined.

·
Registered
19,133 Posts
there is no perfect plasma anymore after Pioneer stopped production...but if I had to choose I would go with the Samsung PNC8000...the Panasonic VT25 has the best image quality but the rising/floating blacks are a deal breaker for me

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/0

there is no perfect plasma anymore after Pioneer stopped production...but if I had to choose I would go with the Samsung PNC8000...the Panasonic VT25 has the best image quality but the rising/floating blacks are a deal breaker for me

They had a big problem with the rising blacks on 2009 but I haven't seen nobody saying that the new series have that problem. They probably have it but I will say is no that bad, I think a regular consumer won't notice, unless you are a videophile and is always checking for errors. All in all, it will be kind of hard for a regular cunsumer to notice that the black change a little over time.

·
Registered
19,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truquitos /forum/post/19629534

They had a big problem with the rising blacks on 2009 but I haven't seen nobody saying that the new series have that problem. They probably have it but I will say is no that bad, I think a regular consumer won't notice, unless you are a videophile and is always checking for errors. All in all, it will be kind of hard for a regular cunsumer to notice that the black change a little over time.

it's more gradual in the 2010 series but it's still there...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...ml?tag=rvwBody

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/0

it's more gradual in the 2010 series but it's still there...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...ml?tag=rvwBody

Yeah I was aware of this but at least it's not as bad as the 2009 model. Anyway there is no plasma at all that is 100% perfect. We are humans and we make errors all the time. So just go with the TV you fall in love!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts