AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Onkyo TX-NR1007 receiver and confused on what power I can expect when using 4-ohm speakers.

The speaker impedance section in the manual says:
Quote:
You can connect speakers with an impedance of between 4 and 16 ohms. If the impedance of any of the connected speakers is 4 ohms or more, but less than 6 ohms, be sure to set the minimum speaker impedance to “4ohms” (see page 53). If you use speakers with a lower impedance, and use the amplifier at high volume levels for a long period of time, the built-in protection circuit may be activated.

Other specs from the manual (page 153) say:
Quote:
Rated power output for all Channels

135 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.05% (FTC) 145 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven at 1 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.7% (FTC) 160 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 6 ohm loads, 2 channels driven at 1 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.1% (FTC)

Dynamic power

320 W (3 Ω, Front)

270 W (4 Ω, Front)

160 W (8 Ω, Front)

When I'm looking at speakers, what power can I expect this thing to deliver -- 270W max @ 4 ohm to the fronts? Sorry I'm new to all of this

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
First of all do NOT set the AVR to the 4 ohm setting. I used a Onkyo 876 and when using the 4 ohm setting you decrease the power from the power supply. It will go into protection mode faster with the 4 ohm setting and possibly run hotter. Set it at the 8 ohm setting and leave it there. Run it at a volume you're comfortable with for a while then walk over and feel the top of the AVR. If it feels hot then my next suggestion would be to get a couple of 80mm or even 120mm computer fans to help cool it. If you don't then you may experience the HDMI board failure many others have. I used these fans on my 876 before I even used it the first time. Never a problem with that AVR and it still works to this day. Go to www.coolerguys.com and find something to use. They have an excellent selection that are good investments to help you keep that AVR running cooler. I always try to suggest finding speakers you like first then get the other equipment needed to drive them. Speakers are an investment and something you hope not to replace for a very long time. Not so with other gear. Good luck and hope this helps in some way.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Ignore dynamic power that's meaningless. Really no way of knowing real output into 4ohm unless you get it bench tested.

Maximum power output cannot be greater than 111W per channel anyway (max power consumption/number of channels)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts