AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Central Scrutinizer
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am in the market to do a major overhaul on the audio part of my home theater, now that I am fairly settled with the video end (Electrohome Marquee 8000, RCA DTC 100, HTPC, and 100" screen). I currently own RA Labs (Roy Allyson) speakers for front center, and surround, but I plan on replacing them with B&W Nautilus 805's for front, HTM-2 center, and yet to be determined surrounds, and build a Shiva sub myself (unless anyone wants to recommend other choices for speakers, considering I have to use "bookshelf" speakers because of space limitations). Also, I am not rich person, so I am very concerned with getting the most for my money, or a "99% performance at 20% of the cost" type of philosophy. Appearance is not a concern for the most part. Assuming that I end up buying these speakers, what would you recommend for complimentary electronics? Right now I have just a Yamaha 2095, which does everything that I need it to do, but lacks the sophistication to properly process all the different forms of AC3 signals and probably wouldn't provide a good amplifier match for my future B&W's. Do you think that I should consider separate pre/pro's or would I get a better value in an integrated setup? Please make recommendations as to which gear I should consider, the reasons why you recommend it, and the approximate cost.

Thanks,

Bob

· Registered
141 Posts
I'd personally recommend a separate Rotel amp and processor for the money and value. I am currently borrowing an RMB1095 and matching processor (RSP985), and am stunned at how good it is. Another slight cheaper alternative would be the RB991/993, or RB985.

Their is also a recent great review of the RMB1095 and RSP985 in a recent Perfect Vision. (issue 30).
http://www.theperfectvision.com/toc-30.htm

RV

· Registered
8,011 Posts
I have the Rotel 993 for my front channels and hope to replace my ageing rear amp with a 991 eventually.I have the Marantz AV-9000 pre and it sounds real good and has a great remote.It has 5 digital in's including the AC-3 RF for my LD player.I reccomend seperates for the flexibility of upgrades.I like the Denon 4800 for a reciever except for the remote,which I would replace on the spot! But it does have 8 digital inputs,pre-outs,including one for EX.I have 4 Rotel amps and have never had one go to the shop yet,and they come with 5 year warranties!

------------------

Ms. Bitchlist

· Registered
3,029 Posts
Bob,

I've heard the Nautilus 805s many times. They're beautiful, great sounding speakers. Truly one of my favorites (Cherry is my preferred finish) and I recommend them all the time. B&Ws synergistically match with Krell gear for some reason and B&W usually demos with Krell at consumer and trade shows. But, for value for money and a 20 year lifetime guarantee, it's pretty hard to beat Bryston, which I've heard several times with the 805s, and which sounds reasonably close to the Krell stuff but costs much less. The Bryston 4B amp at $2397 is one way to go (the THX version is another $100). It's rated at 250 watts and can be bridged for mono operation, should you want to get another one down the road. I'm not sure that the companion Bryston BP-25 preamp has a bypass for your surround sound processor so I wouldn't recommend it or any other unit until you can confirm that it has this capability. It costs $1995, without a phono stage and includes a remote.

If you want to get exotic, I've heard VTL tubed amps with the 805s many times. They work exceedingly well with B&W 805s and are extraordianrily reliable. A friend has had VTL 250 monos in his system for two years now which he leaves on all the time (in standby) and has never had a single failure, tube or otherwise, or even a funny sound or turn-on transient. Nothing. You'll trade a bit of bass control and extension with the tubes, but in return you'll get a bit more lifelike sound. Instruments and vocalists will take on that spooky quality if you know what I mean.

And unlike solid state equipment, tube gear sounds special even at very low late night volume levels, whereas even expensive solid state, which I own, sounds no better than a clock radio when you're forced to keep the volume way down. The VTL MB125, which I've heard, puts out 125 watts (hence, the name), and costs $3250 for the pair. The companion TL2.5 preamp costs $1495 with remote and it does have a SS processor bypass.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard the Rotel gear myself but I've heard very good things about it. And if you go to www.audioreview.com you'll see that for an all-in-one, highly cost effective HT receiver, the Marantz SR19 is universally liked, something you can't say about almost anything these days. It's particularly good on music, which is the key if you ask me.

So, there are many good choices in separates and integrateds these days, but these tend to work especially well with B&W N805s in my experience.

Paul

[This message has been edited by PF (edited May 29, 2000).]

· Central Scrutinizer
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I will definately give the Rotel line a listen and check out the features, as it seems that they could be affordable (no one has mentioned how much the various models cost, but I have always been led to believe that they won't break my wallet).

Paul, the Krell line is definately out of my league, but I am wondering if I can afford the Bryston gear. You mentioned a price of about $2400.00 for the amp (five channel, I assume) and a preamp for about $2000.00, but I still need a surround processor? If that is the case, then that puts Bryston out of my league also, as I would like to keep the combo under or around $5000.00 total, including surround processing, and less if possible. I will definately look into the Marantz unit, though.

I have even wondered about integrated amps like the Denon 5700 (is that their flagship model?) or the Yamaha RX-V1, or separates from B&K or Sunfire. I have been out of touch with audio electronics for some years now, so I need input from people like you to help get me back in the know to make an informed decision. Please keep the suggestions coming, as I will check out all the suggested gear that I can access. Also, anyone with comments about the four companies that I just mentioned would be appreciated also.

Thanks again,

Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob Sorel (edited May 29, 2000).]

· Registered
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Sorel:

Thanks, guys. I will definately give the Rotel line a listen and check out the features, as it seems that they could be affordable (no one has mentioned how much the various models cost, but I have always been led to believe that they won't break my wallet).

I'd recommend a used Lexicon DC-1 and an ATI amp for a good bargain setup.

Quote:
Paul, the Krell line is definately out of my league, but I am wondering if I can afford the Bryston gear. You mentioned a price of about $2400.00 for the amp (five channel, I assume) and a preamp for about $2000.00, but I
No. The 9B-ST is the 5 channel amp. The 4B (or more recently the 4B ST) is a 2x250, if I remember correctly. (I think I demoed a model that measured at 268w/ch.)

For home theater, Bryston is quite good. The Krell KAV line might also be a good thing to consider (KAV-250/KAV-250/3)

Quote:
still need a surround processor? If that is the case, then that puts Bryston out of my league also, as I would like to keep the combo under or around $5000.00 total, including surround processing, and less if possible. I will definately look into the Marantz unit, though.
The used Lex is a good deal right now.

Quote:
I have even wondered about integrated amps like the Denon 5700 (is that their flagship model?) or the Yamaha RX-V1, or separates from B&K or Sunfire. I have been out of touch with audio electronics for some years
Many Lexicon owners live by Sunfire amps...Great for Home Theater...

Regards, Mark

· Registered
3,029 Posts
Bob,

I forgot about Sunfire. They're good, too.

As for all-in-ones, the Marantz seems to be a bit better liked, especially for music, than the Denon, but both are excellent. All the other Japanese brands are less serious about music reproduction, IMO.

The modular 5 channel Bryston is the 9B but it costs $3695. The THX version adds another $100.

As for preamp/processors, B&K has just come out with a new one at $2K that is supposed to be terrific and is selling well. See if owners at the AudioReview website have anything to say about it.

If you want to treat yourself, Krell has a new, very tricky receiver just out (it includes a nifty tuner) that costs around $3K if I'm not mistaken (20 percent off would be the discoount I'd think you could get on it). It would be a highly synergistic combination with the B&Ws. Add a used Lexicon and a used three channel amp for the surrounds and you'd have a very nice little HT/music system that just barely fits within your budget.

I shouldn't say this because I haven't heard the new Krell receiver, though I have heard the other Krell entry level units which you should know are good but certainly not quite up to the high standard of the top end Krell separates. But I'd bet it doesn't sound much better than the surprising Marantz SR19. I'd still rather own the Krell for the Wow factor but I could definitely live with the Marantz. It's simply outstanding on all-important music listening.

It's the one I'm looking to buy once I get my projector up and running, which is my priority project for now. Either that or I'll get a used Lexicon which is probably the best sounding processor for 2 channel music, and add an inexpensive 5 channel amp or a couple of used amps. That's a lot of work though, so I predict I get the Marantz or Denon.

Paul

[This message has been edited by PF (edited May 29, 2000).]

· Central Scrutinizer
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm...Paul, you were that impressed by the Marantz SR19 then, I assume. I will definately put that one on my MUST HEAR list as that really seems like the best bargain so far at only $1700.00! I read the review at Audio Review and it seems like it might have all the features that I am looking for, including the ability to handle 24/96 audio. Rachael, could you give me a little more info on the Marantz AV-9000 pre/pro and MM-9000 5 channel amp combo? If the SR-19 is that good, I wonder if the separates are even better.

Also, Paul, you mentioned a used Lexicon DC-1. How much do these units normally go for used? If I am correct, they can be upgraded to the latest software version just by changing a chip, right? Are any of the units ready to handle AC3 EX?

Nobody has even mentioned the Yamaha RX-V1, and I find that surprising after all the rave reviews of the DSP-A1 (or is it 1A?). I haven't been all that impressed with my RX-V2095, so I doubt that I would buy another Yamaha. I would really like to take a step upwards in audio quality, so I would probably be best off with separates. Don't mind me, guys and gals, while I think aloud.

Ok, so I'll check out the Marantz and Denon integrated solutions, and I will check out the B&K, used Lexicon, Sunfire, ATI, Bryston (probably too expensive for me, but I will check anyway) and entry level Krell gear (probably too expensive also.) And Rachael and RV, I will definately also give the Rotel units a listen. Some other people have also recently recommended them as a great bargain in higher end audio. Any other companies, like Carver or Outlaw maybe, that I should put on my list?

Thanks, all,

bob

· Registered
8,011 Posts
I never considered the Marantz power amp.I like Rotel.I am using a Smart Jr. EX unit with my AV 9000 and when I upgrade my rear amp maybe I'll get another Rotel 993 and have a channel for my single EX speaker.Well,the AV 9000 ought to fit your budjet.It has a six channel input,two component video inputs,an above average tuner section, 5 digital inputs,one of which is an AC-3 RF input for Laserdisc,you can assign the four regular digital inputs the way you need them,two each co-axe and toslink,two digital recording outputs toslink and co-axe,the usual analog inputs except no phono section. The front panel is rather spartan,it looks rather like the model 19 reciever.The remote is a bit tedious to program but once you get it done,you seldom need the original remotes.The remote is more or less the RC-2000,but it's labeled RC-18SR.The unit is THX Ultra certified and it sounds a notch above my old pre combo the Elite C-72/SPD-99 and of course has DTS.I think this unit is the winner in it's class.I love the remote! I considered a Rotel pre and they are it's equal in sound in MHO,but the remotes that came with their units were poor,to the extreame!They sell one kind of like the Pronto,but that's like an extra $250! I want a cool remote,that's our main interface with these machines.My dealer,Nicholson's Stereo in Nashville gave me ten days to audition the unit.I knew right off it was a keeper! I highly recommend separates,I unhooked the Pioneer combo and substituted the Marantz.I have not looked at the latest Rotel pre's as the local dealer is not stocking them.They are stocking the power amps and CD players...The manual has good points and bad points.The good,big foldouts of the rear panel and a logical order.The bad,some sections particularly the remote programing section are wordy and confusing. Proably it was written in Flemish and translated to English....Well, E-mail me if you have any specific questions.

------------------

Ms. Bitchlist

· Central Scrutinizer
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, there's so much to think about and so much equipment to listen to http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Jeff and Rachael, the separates sound like a really good idea just for the reasons that you mentioned, but I am definately going to give the integrated gear a good listen also, as Paul and Woodman seem to be equally impressed with the Marantz SR-19 and the Yamaha RX-V1 respectively. Let's admit it, going out and auditioning all this great gear is half the fun, so I'm going to take my time and compare compare compare!

Now with the Marantz SR-19 it seems that I can have my cake and eat it too by going the way of the AV-9000 (depending on price, of course), but does Yamaha offer the equivalent of the RX-V1 in separates? But then again, if the preamp and power amps compliment each other, then why separate them (just thinking aloud again)?

Woodman, no, I am not one of those "high end" people. I work hard for my money and I want to spend it very carefully. The only reason I can buy the B&W's is because of a once in a lifetime deal and I will be able to get them at almost half their normal cost, so I just couldn't pass them up (sorry, I can't give the details, so please don't ask). I don't own any cables costing $5000 and I don't plan on owning any. My goal is to get 95% performance at 10% of the cost of "high end" gear, or as close as I can come to that goal. The responses I have gotten here are just what I have been looking for, superb VALUE. I am going to look and listen with an open mind (and ear) very carefully to all the equipment that has been mentioned in this thread and find which gear fulfills my own needs the best. I thank you all very much for leading me in the right direction, and if anyone thinks of any other companies I should consider, bring 'em on!

Now all I have to do is find showrooms within driving distance that have this stuff on display so that I can hear and compare. I am about 1 hour from Boston and about 4 hours from New York City, so it shouldn't be too hard to find places that handle these brands.

· Central Scrutinizer
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've seen some used Lexicon pre/pro's for sale. I believe the models are the DC-1 and DC-2, and I have also heard that there is a MC-1 also, though it is probably too new to find in the used market. Can anyone explain the difference between these various models, as the info on the Lexicon site is not very clear?

Bob

· Registered
646 Posts
Hi Bob,

I did not have the finance to start with separates immediately. With my N805 and HTM2, I am using an integrated AV amp, the Pioneer VSA-E07. Not bad at all. I can easily live with it for a while. The preamp outputs allows for later amp upgrades.

Michel

· Registered
850 Posts
Based on reading posts, the differences between the Lexicon pre-amps (correct me if I'm wrong anyone):

DC-1 vs. DC-2:

DC-2 has more input connections, better S/N ratio, and better video switching.

DC-2 vs. MC-1:

MC-1 has even more input connections, even better S/N ratio, better configurability options, and almost broadcast quality video switcher unit.

Used DC-1 is around $1200, the DC-1 is NOT being produced anymore (AFAIK), so you will find a lot of used DC-1s for sale (eBay is one source for this). DC-2 should sell around $2500, and the MC-1 is listed at $6000, but eBay sellers sells these at $4000-$4500. I don't own any of these products, but again by reading posts (which some people say are dependent on your ear), all Lexicon pre-amps doesn't have analog bypass, basically they do all the processing in digital, and thus music lovers prefer units with analog bypass (Proceed, Theta, Classe). That being said, a heck of a lot of people agree that movie sound processing of the Lex is the best, if not part of the top 1% of processors. Also, a lot of them swear by the Logic 7.1, which is used for music listening.

All in all, the DC-1 has 7.1 capability, make sure you buy one with the EX upgrade already in it, and can be upgraded. SUPPOSEDLY (emphasis on the word), around right now Lexicon is considering another pre/pro product, which some people see as about time too, since the MC-1 has been on the market for quite awhile, and it's around their usual new-product roll-out time (based on the DC-1 to DC-2 to MC-1 timeframe). Also, compared to the other high-end pre/pro, Lex is THX certified (if that means anything to you).

I'm just tyring to be an informed reader and writer of these electronic devices, since I have not the 'deniro' yet to buy these stuff. My opinions on the items mentioned in the thread:

Brystons: unbeatable transferrable 20 year warranty, retains their value over time, you cannot get 30% discount on 3 year old Brystons - most probably you can get 15% or so - so buying used or new is dependent on your wallet size http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

Krells: Amplifier-wise, very powerful, and they have a lot of lineup in that department. Most specs are underrated, they can produce more power in tests, and good for demanding speakers (electrostatics/magneplanars). Pre/pro-wise, not very configurable, relative to Lexicons. Some people complain the sound is rather 'Krell-y' - strong sound, pushes everything out, and might sound harsh to people. In my auditions, since they push everything out, all the sound seems to be mixed, rather hard to pluck out different instruments.

Yamaha's: Top of the line yammies are the ones to go for, their second/third tier line is very compromised. Comes with a 4/8 ohm load switch, so some people think it's not a very well designed amplifier. Maybe it's just their philosophy. Have heard the DSP-A1, I don't think it will drive Magnepans like separate amplifiers, but not too shabby. Haven't heard the RX-V1. A bit light on the musical side, IMHO. Again, a lot of people think Japan products are a tad joking on the music side. Then again, they must not have heard Onkyo or Nakamichi high end lines. (warning: Onkyo Integra and Nakamichi high-end stuff are WAAAYYY too expensive)

Marantz: Their top of the line, price-wise is about right, but better bang for the buck is their second-tier line, retains a lot of the bigger brother characteristics, but at a lot lower price. I like their pre/pro, but the receiver is a tad lacking driving NHT 3.3 I auditioned once. But Ah Laks mah muzak Lauhd...

Rotels: Rotels are warm-sounding electronics, which pairs very well with B&W, NHT, and other bright-sounding drivers. Rotels IMO has the best watt/buck figure, and you can get the 5 channel for around $2.5K, and that should be enough for your purposes.

Personally, I prefer separates, more options, and more because I've seen electronics that does Pro-Logic, with THX, and then going DD5.1, continuing with DTS and finally THX EX. Going pre/pro route, I can get the used DC-1, use the rest of my money to buy amps, and 5 years from now, I can still use my amps, just go with another pre/pro to handle the 9.1ch setup then http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . For speaker upgrades, I've heard the DynAudio Audience (bookshelf, forgot which model, it's either 50 or 60, goes for $900/pr) driven by $6K worth of electronics, and it sounded unbelieveable. The drawback was that at high volume levels, the speaker kinda broke up a bit. Something that you might want to hear.

Anyways, enough of my rant, hope this helps to add to the whole AV confusion http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

Ciao.

Muljadi Budiman.

Enough of my

· Central Scrutinizer
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, thanks, people! There is so much equipment that I will have to listen to, I just don't know where to begin. Some other people mentioned the Onkyo 989 as an all in one unit, and I've also heard rumblings about the Marantz MA-500 and MA-700 mono blocks amps. Anyone care to comment about these pieces?

· Registered
850 Posts
I have 2 MA-700s, and I should say that they are a bit bright. Driving NHT 3.3, which in itself is rather bright, but the room they are in have no first-round reflections (left side is open to kitchen, right side speaker is about a foot to the wall, and there's blinds there) so I can deal with the harshness for now. It drives the NHTs very well, can't complain that it's lacking in power.

Power-wise, the MA-700 is good enough, it drives Magnepans to loud levels (my friend was afraid it'll bother his neighbor, so we didn't experiment on how loud it can be), so the juice is there. 200W to 8 Ohm, or 300W to 4 Ohms, and it has that auto-on switch which I liked. Very heavy, haven't tried the bridged mode yet, and it's also THX rated. Personally I bought these because that's the amount I can spend on amps, and most probably over time I will go to Brystons, and these amps can power my rears (whatever that may be then). Depending on your usage, the MA-500 might be suitable as well, shares the same traits, but less power.

Hope this helps.

Ciao.

Muljadi Budiman.

· Registered
1,797 Posts
Bob:

I'm a fellow owner of the Yamaha 2095. Frankly, I'm actually very impressed with the build quality and sound of this receiver - I have a friend with the Denon 5700, and I personally consider them about equal on sound quality.

I'm afraid I can't add much to the excellent suggestions you've received so far, as I tend to prefer the lower-end hi-fi components - Yamaha, Denon, B&K, and (I know I'm gonna get flamed for this one) even the new Kenwood receiver (reviewed in this month's Sound & Vision).

I have some questions/things for you to consider. Why are you having trouble with the Yami processing AC-3? I have a similar setup, and I've found enough digital inputs to do what I need - PCM from the CD player, AC-3 in from the HTPC, AC-3 in from the DVD player (probably soon to be sold), and AC-3 in from a Unity Motion. For the CD input, I use Toslink in from the CD player, and use the Co-ax connection for the HDTV receiver. I use the DVD coax input for the DVD player, and finally use the TV/DBS Toslink for AC-3 from the HTPC. It's not the most elegant solution in the world, but it works well, and I doubt you'll find too many pre/pros or receivers with an "HTPC" digital input. Most of the receivers/pre-pros mentioned so far have assignable digital inputs, but with input priority mode on the Yami, you get the same thing, it's just not labeled as such. Besides, if you use a Pronto or other auxillary remote, you really don't care what the labels are on the receiver anyway.

Finally, the only advice I might want to give: Buy your new speakers first! If you're on a realtively tight budget, you might want to audition the new speakers with your current Yami before yu decide to chuck it. IMHO, speakers make far more difference to the final sound of your setup than the receiver/amp/pre-pro, assuming you stay away from the "trash" receivers for sale at CC!

FWIW

D. Keller

· Registered
307 Posts
Man are you getting help or what?

Here we go with my suggestions.....

First off get seperates!

Next if you are a Stereophile get a Classe, EAD, or THETA CasaNova.

If you are a HT person get a Lexicon.

As for amps I have been hearing good things about the detail and soundstage of the sunfire cinema grand.

I intend to buy a CG soon.

As for my standard babble here you go:

If you are a Tec look into the Casa Nova it is the most flexible interactive pre-amp on the market and it includes bad *** stereo and the best of upgrades from a company that is proving it doesn't lie about the upgradeability of there equipment. Exmp: Casablanca to Casablanca 2 for under 1500 dollars. Hopefully I can expect the same for my Casa Nova!

I will say that if you are a Stereophile the Classe is a clean unit and may be better than my Theta but the Theta edged the EAD out in my book.

There are alot of variables involved when listening at a dealers? I can only say that Theta, EAD, and Classe are premium stereo pre-amps that also happen to be able to do home theater.

For a total controll freak the Theta is best by far yet also somewhat complicated for a person who can be intimidated by having to spend time learning what they prefer and how to get there.

I would at least have the sales person change the crossover types along with the slope and phase so you can hear the difference it can make on the sound.

Sorry to Babble!

Nathan

· Central Scrutinizer
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hootch, I absolutely love my Marquee 8000 and wouldn't trade it for anything except a 9" Marquee http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif This projector's picture looks incredible, it syncs up with anything I throw at it, and it has software that is easy to use, easy to setup, and easy to maintain. What more could I want?

Everyone, after a lot of listening and comparing, I finally settled on a surprise decision (at least to me) on the Yamaha RX-V1. All the gear I listened to sounded great and was loaded with features, but the Yamaha just did everything right for my particular taste. I almost opted for the Marantz AV-9000 preamp with either a Rotel RMB 1095 power amp or 5 Marantz MA-500 monoblocks, but I ended up with the Yamaha because it supported 24/96 audio, already has 6 channels of amplification (along with EX matrixed support), has excellent software control, and was priced right. It lists for $3200.00 in the black finish and I got it for $2349.00, so I consider it quite a bargain. I was able to listen to my soon-to-be-bought B&W Nautilus 805's, along with the ASW 3000 sub, through several different setups, including some higher end Krell separates, and the Yamaha sounded almost as good as the really high end stuff, for a fraction of the price.

Thanks again to everybody for their input and help on this tough decision. I have to admit, I had a ball going around and listening to all this wonderful gear, and I'm gonna miss all the comparing and investigating.

BTW, if money were no object, I would have bought the Lexicon MC-1 pre/pro and Earthquake Cinenova Grand 5 channel amp for about $10,000.00 list. But then again, I wouldn't pair that combo with Nautilus 805's either. By buying the Yamaha and Natilus 805's, I am making a significant improvement over my old gear while still leaving room to go shopping again for even better equipment as money permits http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Bob Sorel (edited June 13, 2000).]

· Registered
307 Posts
Bob,

Congrats on the RXV I had my eye on this same receiver also.

Burr Brown DACS for every channel including the sub and a 44 bit DSP engine must sound good! Not to mention the power supply is totaly shielded.

You got a steal of a deal on the price!

Nathan

· Registered
2,441 Posts
I'm sure you're short list has gotten quite long by now, but I've got to chime in here.

I like the Classe amps and pre-amps. I've heard a couple Krell's with the 805's and a couple Classes. I thought overall the Krell sounded cooler, but had a better bottom end. I went with an M&K sub for the bass and a Classe for the mids and highs. Female voices sound great.

About 6 months ago I was offered a couple of DC-1's THX/AC-3/DTS v3 firmware. The local dealer was selling one for $2000 and would come down to $1900, maybe $1800 if I pushed. Some guy contacted me over the Internet and offered to sell one to me for $1600 or $1500, I can't quite remember. Anyway, I was a little weary of buying from a private citizen through the mail, so I declined.

I ended up getting a Rotel RTC-965 for $900. It's not a bad pre/pro, but I wish I had bought the DC-1 and then got a seperate analog pre. The Rotel isn't dead quite, and CD music is lacking a bit. Maybe I should have gotten the 985. Anyway, I'm happy with my amp. 75x6 for $1900 isn't bad.

If you're going to listen to the Krell's, give the Classe's a listen too. They have different sounds. Some people prefer the Classe. Others Krell. And still others don't hear any difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.