AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anything new has come along thats easy to use that allows you to organise a nice list of all our movies.

Thanks!

·
Registered
976 Posts
It's called a DIY database. As long as there are less than 65535 titles, you can construct your own database in Excel. Since there is no unified DB with vhs, laserdisc, dvd, d-theater, and some future format, serious collectors (like me) roll their own. It began with Cinemania and incorporated elements of Orlofsky's dvd register ( http://www.orlofsky.com ). Since Tom's database is always a month behind, and does not incorporate many imported laserdiscs and dvds (or any tapes of any kind), I have to maintain dual databases. It is a nightmare keeping this up-to-date. IMDB could make a fortune if it got into the DB business for collectors. They have the most complete film database of anyone out there, and they could rent room on their servers for people who want a relational DB that could organize by format, genre, actor, director, color, etc.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Alan:

I use DVD Profiler. I tried the collectorz one but didn't think it was as friendly or flexible. That said, there are problems with DVD Profiler too. But it is the best I have tried.

The big problem (which Ollie refers to) is getting a database that will allow us to keep track of all of our media - DVDs, Laser discs, CDs, SACDs, DVD-As, LPs, tapes, etc. This could be a great product if it could be easy enough for novices to use...

·
Registered
463 Posts
How about a Media catalog program for us Macintosh users?

Any suggestions, as I am a Optical Media Slut...I need all the help I can get!!! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is There a Database for Music CDs that is similar to DVD Profiler? I find that Profiler fits all of my needs and wants for movies

I currently using one called MDB2000 for CDs.

Just curious?

·
Registered
711 Posts
DVD Profiler. Very nice program - And it's free to boot.

Dick

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Another vote here for DVD Profiler.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I use a simple Excel database. Clearly not as fancy as Profiler, etc., but it gets the job done. When a new title is added, I re-alphabatize by clicking data/sort. Works for me.......

htomei

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
dvd profiler...and it is worth buying,although the free version will do the trick.

brickie

·
Registered
897 Posts
I've settled on the pay version of DVD profiler. Easy to use and you have a copy on the Net in case things go wrong on your local copy. I've tried others including Movie Collector but Profiler has it all and it is really simple. I like being able to write custom reports too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Like many others I use DVDProfiler

Though I'd kinda like to get a good program for organizing my LDs. (All 35 or so of them) just for the sake of doing it, ya know.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have been interested in CollectorZ due to its ability to download all of the info automatically (just the thought of entering all the data manually is tiring).

I do have a question. I live in a rural area and only have dial-up internet connection. How long can I expect it to take to download information for a DVD title?

Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Torre, the download is very quick. The DVD cover art are very small files and the remaining data is just text. Usually the whole thing is finished in a few seconds.

I believe you can download a free working copy of the software to try it out.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Torre
I have been interested in CollectorZ due to its ability to download all of the info automatically (just the thought of entering all the data manually is tiring).

I do have a question. I live in a rural area and only have dial-up internet connection. How long can I expect it to take to download information for a DVD title?

Thanks.
DVD Profiler allows you to simply enter the UPC number of the DVD, and it automatically finds and downloads all of the information. I am using dialup (for now - going to DSL soon ... Can't wait!) and the downloads do not take very much time.

Dick

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm using DVD Profiler and the cat nip program with the Cue Cat bar-code reader that Radio Shack was giving out a year(?) ago. This allows me to scan the UPC code on the DVD case and be done with it. Very easy.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Can some nice person upload or email their Excel database? At least the template? I keep my CD's in Excel right now but I'm too Excel illiterate to have anything but a simple list (I can't even do an alphabet sort because of the way I have it listed). Thanks.

Cary
[email protected]

PS. I use DVDProfiler for the DVDs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.