AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am currently looking for a projector to replace the Epson home10+ that we have at work. We watch alot of TV on the weekends and sometimes use the projector for up to 16 hours a day. Mind you that those days are usually on weekends and holidays only. The current Epson projector had started to get a green ting to the blacks and is almost non existant in bright pictures. We are also looking at the epson 7500 and the sony vm 60 any other ideas weould be great. thanks you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a Marantz12s3 with about 3500HRS on it and it is not unusual for me to run it 10 to 15 hours in a day. I bought in june of 2005
With movie watching and video games I am up till 4:00 in the moring sometimes with some serious COD4 going on. Sunday's it's Football with 3 games in a day thats about 9 to 10 hours there. The 12s3 is built like a tank and throws a great picture. I have about 100 hours left on this bulb and was wondering my self if people run there pj's as hard as I do?

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah4710 /forum/post/15580865

Hello I am currently looking for a projector to replace the Epson home10+ that we have at work. We watch alot of TV on the weekends and sometimes use the projector for up to 16 hours a day. Mind you that those days are usually on weekends and holidays only. The current Epson projector had started to get a green ting to the blacks and is almost non existant in bright pictures. We are also looking at the epson 7500 and the sony vm 60 any other ideas weould be great. thanks you.

You go in to work on the weekends and holidays to watch TV all day?

I would advise staying away from LCD projectors as the polarizers tend to fail relatively early, leading to large swaths of discoloration and streaking. I think DLP projectors stand up well to all-day abuse.

You may want to look at replacement bulb prices too for whatever projectors that you're eyeing.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqn /forum/post/15598348

you go in to work on the weekends and holidays to watch tv all day?

i would advise staying away from lcd projectors as the polarizers tend to fail relatively early, leading to large swaths of discoloration and streaking. I think dlp projectors stand up well to all-day abuse.

You may want to look at replacement bulb prices too for whatever projectors that you're eyeing.

+1

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I'll triple that...LCD panels tend to degrade over time so for that kind of work, DLP or LCOS is probably best.

However, note that even at 16 hours a day, I would bet you would want to upgrade long before these totally went on you (if you are like most of us and are always looking for the next best thing).

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I thought the new inorganic LCD panels would not degrade as quickly as the old tech? And what about the spinning color wheels in DLP?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
They won't degrade as quick, but he is talking LOTS of run time as compared to most users. DLP color wheels actually are pretty darn solid overall (rare they go bad-really they just are a spinning motor).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts