AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, looking for help in choosing a decent projector for outdoor family viewing use. I would like it to have WiFi and some built in apps or ability to downloads apps: AppleTV and Netflix, with a bonus for Disney+

Projector (used after sun sets or as setting) is not to be installed outdoors, just me lugging it out and putting on a stool or other stand and projecting onto a screen on side of house. About 8-10 feet throw. Bring it all back inside at end of night.

My present dilemma is that I can no longer get my Epson PowerLite presenter 3LCD projector to talk to my iPhone so as to stream from my phone. My set up was iPhone to lightning/HDMI adapter to projector, with a charging cable at the lightening/HDMI adapter to keep phone powered. A lot of cords...

Last summer it worked, but wife threw away the cables over the winter. I replaced all the cables but set-up won't work. Not sure why. I used a newer HDMI cable, have a newer model iPhone than last year, etc., but Netflix just won't pass through phone to projector. Nor AppleTv. Soi am thinking there has to be a newer projector and with wifi so I don't have to use all the cables and go through my phone anymore?

Like my Samsung and Sony LED TV indoors, do projectors now come with WiFi and smart apps or an app store to download Netflix, Apple TV, maybe Disney+? I'm thinking why use the phone to projector method when maybe a new projector has that built-in and all I would need to do is one-time setup to connect to my home's wifi and login in to netflix, etc. Is this achievable?

What I liked about the Epson was the two built in speakers. Could get loud enough for family to hear whatever we were watching. Wondering with a new projector how to do sound if not built in?

What I didn't like about the Epson was it was just a bit too big and too heavy at 13.5"x9.5"x5.5" and 10 pounds that lugging it in and out was a bit of a pain. I could do that size again if needed, but I would like a little smaller/lighter.

What I am okay with is the picture: 1280x800 and stated 2500 lumens. Sure I'd like a better/crisper picture .....but this is outdoor, occasional use so visual specs not as important. I use this after the sun sets or as setting so don't need super bright to compete with daylight. Epson got plenty bright at night.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Your limiting your selection considerably by looking for something with built in apps, they do exist but not that common. A fireTV stick is just $30 and will have WiFi and all the apps you could want or any of the others like Roku, Shield and AppleTV. The Epson 1060 projector is the most recommended, very inexpensive, very bright, cheap replacement lamps and 1080p. Its biggest flaw is rather poor contrast but many love it for an outdoor projector.

Reactions: noob00224

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I STRONGLY recommend that you just get a smart device and plug it into your existing projector if you are otherwise happy with your existing projector.

There are a very few projectors that have integrated 'smart' functionality, and most of them are so-so in that department. Some are just awful.

So, a Roku Stick or a FireStick are the proper things to use. You just plug them into the projector directly, and use a USB charger to power the device. Many newer projectors are starting to incorporate USB power right on them to power these smart sticks locally with a short USB power cable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks for the replies. I'll dig around for an old Firestick I know I have somewhere.

Basically it is the same concept as using my phone, except the anti-piracy walls on a usb stick should be lower (apps on iPhone often precluded from throwing content to another device).

Out of curiosity, any reason why projector companies are not doing what (seemingly) every flat tv manufacturer is doing and offering smart apps built in along with WiFi? I've pretty much ditched my AppleTV physical device since the app on my Samsung and Sony tvs works just as well. My ancient Vizio in the bedroom even came with Netflix built in.

Curious why if projectors want to be an alternative to led tv's that they don't include this feature?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Frankly I'd take a standard TV with a 4k Firestick over a Smart TV every time.

I even have a Smart TV as my main TV but still use a Firestick on it rather than the inbuilt apps.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Okay, thanks for the replies. I'll dig around for an old Firestick I know I have somewhere.

Basically it is the same concept as using my phone, except the anti-piracy walls on a usb stick should be lower (apps on iPhone often precluded from throwing content to another device).

Out of curiosity, any reason why projector companies are not doing what (seemingly) every flat tv manufacturer is doing and offering smart apps built in along with WiFi? I've pretty much ditched my AppleTV physical device since the app on my Samsung and Sony tvs works just as well. My ancient Vizio in the bedroom even came with Netflix built in.

Curious why if projectors want to be an alternative to led tv's that they don't include this feature?
You're assuming that a projector is an alternative or an alternative that is widely used.

Replacement lamp costs on better projectors make them undesirable for casual TV watching for many. You can buy a 50"-65" TV for the same or less price of many replacement lamps.

Under certain circumstances, a projector can be used as a TV alternative. However, a projector is compromised in ambient light situations where a TV is maybe not.

I've yet so see any projector that can match the contrast/black levels of an OLED TV. Projection has difficulty with HDR display where almost any 4K HDR TV will not.

A projector is part of a system including the projection surface and the room itself which contribute to the overall picture quality one can expect achieve where a TV is more or less self contained.

App's like Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, etc. add cost in licensing fee's that I'm quite happy not to have to pay for. App's also often require updates and companies add feature that existing hardware cannot always accommodate making the function obsolete just as Netflix has done recently.

It's much better and cheaper to simply connect a streaming device to a projector as so many source units have the App's already built in.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
TV and disc player manufactures rarely update their apps. Most of the most popular streaming devices are updated often and are more likely to support the latest features. Its a whole lot cheaper to update your streaming device if it doesn't support the latest feature then replacing a whole TV. I wish TV manufactures would sell just video monitors and dispense with internal tuners and apps if it would lower the price. Projectors on the whole should be considered video monitors.

Reactions: noob00224
1 - 7 of 7 Posts