AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, is there a projector that can project an 8 foot wide screen or greater, blacks as deep as a CRT and light output as bright as an LCD 1000, 2000 or more lumens?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Art,

If we are referring to DLP projectors which do not have clear sections in their colour wheel, then I would say that there are no single chip DLP projectors that have the light output of LCD projectors. The contrast ratio of DLP, however, is much higher. HD1/HD2 DLP projectors are spec'd at less than or equal to 1000 lumens, and in my experience, these ratings tend to be overrated.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Super brightness and absolute blacks are mutually exclusive.

The HD2 SVGA DLP FPTVs are about the best compromise between ease of use, high resolution, decent blacks, and adequate brightness to light an 8' wide screen with some ambient light in the room.

In real life CRTs do not achive absolute blacks either,but generally they have visibly better absolute black level than digital FPTVs.

You need to see for yourself if the better absolute black level is worth the extra effort that CRT FPTVs require. It may well be, or maybe not. I've owned several CRT, D-ILA, and DLP FPTVs and can't go back after being very happy with digital FPTVs.

But like record players, for some people, the best quality (light-controlled 9" CRT) is worth the extra effort in setup and maintenance.

-Dean.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
You should try the new Blacklite models with 1200:1 CR.

And, perhaps next year, we will have the same with 3000:1 CR.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The upcoming SharpVision XV-Z10000U is supposed to have a switchable mode between high brightness (1100Lumens), and high contrast (2500:1) at native 720p resolution.

The Marantz VP-12S2 has the same DLP resolution, with 700 lumens (fixed) at 2600:1 CR.

The specs sound great, but I'm not sure how much better these high contrast FPTVs compare with 800:1 CR models.

-Dean.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
4000:1 with one or with three chips ?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
sorry i can NOT tell my source because i will not get any inside informations after publish details.

but what i can tell is that the ALMOST 4000:1 cr.is a 3 chip.

think about the following.

the maranz s1 with 10° tilt dmd have true 750:1.

the new maranz with 12° have true 2500:1.

now when maranz and others can more than triple the cr. with the new 12°dmd big professionals 3 chip can do at least the same.

you will see such units early next year.i think march.

at ces maybe samples.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
No digital projector can come close to a CRT as far as full on off contrast ratio is concerned but thinigs can change rapidly when there is some white on the screen along with the black.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if some current digital projectors already have a better ANSI contrast ratio then a CRT FP.

Frank

·
Registered
522 Posts
@All,don´t forget that the CR is taken on a steward studio tec 130 (Gain1.3) Colortemp: 9K-13K Kelvin Full on Full off.

So, there will never be the same situation in a real life film.

After Calibration the CR melts like snow in the sun.

If it comes to real measurements, we have to take the cinema specs for CR and brightness.

16ft. lambert at studio tec 130 (Gwin 1.3) and Then, then we are getting the true results.

I don´t believe, that the diference between HD-1 and HD-2 DMD is that big.

Best

Armin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.