AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HT construction is scheduled to start in 2-3 weeks and should take about 3-4 months to finish. As such, I do not need a FP right away but am wondering what's around the corner.

I know that the Sanyo was the last big HT projector to get a lot of talk (first positive then negative) and the 11HT is soon to hit the shelves. What other projectors in the $4k-$8k range can we expect great things from?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Well, I won't be upgrading anytime soon, but this is what I can tell you:

-6 segment DLP colour wheels: these may start finding themselves in less expensive projectors. If you are sensitive to the rainbow effect, than this could be the single greatest change, yet, for DLP. 16x9 chips will be coming out, but are beyond the price range you specified.

Then, you got the new spiral colour wheels, however, those still are being experimented with, I believe, and won't be available till much later than your install...

Other than a few models, such as the infocusHT model, and those that u mentioned, I dont' know much else to say given the specific requirements.

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) :)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
MCody,

I'm very intrigued by the new Christie Digital D-ILA that they have coming out. 3-panels. SXGA+ resolution. 1800 lumens. 500:1 contrast. 38 db quiet. SHP bulb. No moving parts (color wheels). Almost no screen door at all.

It seems to have it all, but it isn't available yet, so it may not turn out to be "all that".

It is something to look for when it comes around. See the currently running thread on the topic in this forum.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi mcody,

I'm closer everyday to buying a projector. (Of course, I've been saying that for 6 months, but my Grayhawk arrived today...)

My current short list:

Sony 11HT

Sharp XV-Z9000u - keep your eye on this, the price may fall into your range.

Christie Digital Vivid Red - just added due to the recent comments.

DWIN Transvision 2(?) - don't know what this will be called, but they are supposed to bring out a 16:9 DLP around the end of '01. Hopefully the also add the 6 segment color wheel.

Hope this helps.

Paul

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
4:3 panel and all, I still like the Sanyo XP21N better than the rest. Bright, high contrast, greatly reduced screen door. It just has a not so good scaler, but almost everyone here uses some kind of external scaling or a HDTV source.

·
Registered
260 Posts
For the reputed price (~$5K? list), the Infocus LP530 (which may or may not be the "HT" model - see http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/007063.html ) MAY be a winner, but apparently it isn't all the way out yet. Keep looking for reviews of this one - I'm especially concerned about what's in the add-on ($$) interface. Still, 2000 lumens, 2000hr bulb - just have to hope for discount pricing eventually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.