AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I guess I'm jumping into the HTPC fray. I'm a noob when it comes to building computers but I have help that I can rely on. I've been reading up for months but there are big gaps in my knowledge (the software part of this project scares me a bit).

Here's my build (ordered and should be arriving tomorrow):

Case: Silverstone GD 05B

MB: GIGABYTE GA-H55M-S2H LGA 1156

CPU: Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB

ODD: LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM

No tuner card yet and I was planning on using the integrated graphics in the CPU so no GPU.

The case comes with three 120mm fans.

What power supply should I get? I just want it to run everything quietly. Thanks in advance.

Alex

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/18314843

What price range? There are hundreds that would work.

Lets say under $100.

I'm trying to sneak this thing under the radar (just bought new Samsung 8500 and a wireless bluray player which I might return if I get this HTPC working right).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusloop /forum/post/18314859

I really like the Corsair PSUs

url deleted by MAK1967 (apparently I need 3 posts before I can post a link).

450w may be a bit more than you need, but I prefer to err on the side of to much rather than too little.

I have found this PSU to be pretty quiet in my Antec Remote mATX case.

I guess I'm worried about size and getting everything to fit, will that power supply work with the case and the parts I'm getting?

·
Registered
74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK1967 /forum/post/18314969

I guess I'm worried about size and getting everything to fit, will that power supply work with the case and the parts I'm getting?

I've never built with the Silverstone case your using, but I am sure it takes the standard PSUs. It fits just fine in my Antec mATX, almost like it was designed to...

Really, it's probably the nicest PSU I've ever used, and with the rebate, it's a fantastic price, and super quiet in my experience.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you don't need too much power you can go for the PicoPSUs, like I did. No fan, guaranteed silent !!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusloop /forum/post/18316493

I've never built with the Silverstone case your using, but I am sure it takes the standard PSUs. It fits just fine in my Antec mATX, almost like it was designed to...

Really, it's probably the nicest PSU I've ever used, and with the rebate, it's a fantastic price, and super quiet in my experience.

OK, I just bought the Corsair 450W PSU off newegg. Thanks everyone.

Now I just have to figure out how to put one of these things together.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I find it easiest to just have a big area where I can lay down all the parts and remove all the boxes etc. Then get the case apart and in the center. Then mount motherboard and get the chip in there and the motherboard fan connected and the fan connector on the motherboard. then put in the memory. Then the hard drive(s) Then dvd drive. Then get the PSU in place. Then put the gpu in. Then run all the wires. It might be slightly different with your case.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought a corsair 450W recently, to put in my HTPC (antec remote fusion case).

Would have to say there is a "squealing" type of noise eminating from it. If you search corsiar forums, there is a huge thread devoted to it.

Not saying all corsair psu's have this issue, just something to be aware of.

I tried disabling bios power saving settings, etc to fix (as recommended) to no avail.

good luck

chuga

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK1967 /forum/post/18314809

...What power supply should I get? I just want it to run everything quietly. Thanks in advance.

I just finished a similar system.

Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 100 RC-100

MB: GIGABYTE GA-H55M-S2H LGA 1156

CPU: Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale

RAM: Kinston Gamer Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333

HDD: Western Digital 640GB WD6400BEVT 2.5" notebook drive

ODD: Samsung Slim 8X DVD+/-RW Internal Drive SN-S083C/BEBE (Black)

No tuner card yet, I will add an Avermedia Duet.

The case came with a 150w Flex ATX PSU that I pulled out and swapped with a CityNet Pico PSU - 150w DC-DC/80w AC-DC ($69 @ Fry's).

There are no case fans. Note: CPU temp is

I plugged the system into a Kill-a-Watt and monitored power usage. The absolute maximum power draw I could generate was 52 watts, idle load is 27 watts and normal usage including HD playback bounces around the low-to-mid 30 watt range.

I cannot imagine a scenario where you could use 150 watts much less 450w.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts