AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Me thinks the seller isn't sure what he's got. It is obviously a bulb based unit and maybe he threw the word CRT in there to garnish a little more interest. Worked huh? ;) Course he says that you'll have to align the 3 colors. Or maybe they were using it like one of out forum members was a few months ago...a generated convergence grid to align their CRT to!

·
Registered
359 Posts
me thinks it's a 3 chip LCD projector ...(one LCD panel for each color)

LX-D300U

15-35

50-70

640x480

800x600

Q/SV/CP/PC

LCD

250 Lumes, 640x480 Native resolution, replacement bulbs run about $750 for this beast. http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...fm?part_id=216

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
in short, it uses a CRT to create the image and then project it onto an Amorphous LCD (also called the Image Light Amplifier) and using a polarization scheme, it then becomes a type of reflective LCD with no matrix. SO it is an early version of what is now D-ILA. I cannot recall the model number though. if it works and you can figure out how to set it up, it should look killer.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I believe this JVC system is an ILA system - the forerunner to the D-ILA.

Whereas the D-ILA uses a pixelated mirror that is driven directly by the control electronics - hence the "D" for

"direct-drive" in the acronym - the ILA uses a CRT to write on a layer of amorphous silicon. The voltage thus produced

is applied to the non-pixelated mirror, and hence the liquid crystal chip; and is used to control the state of the liquid

crystal chip.

Light from a Xenon lamp is modulated by the 3 ILA chips - one for each color - recombined, and then projected.

The JVC ILAs have 3 CRTs, 3 ILA chips and one Xenon lamp.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
When set up correctly, that thing looks better than alot of the really high end machines. It would give a great result, especially if treated as a project. (and you don't invest too much in it.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.