Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in process of building my first HT.

I have ordered Ascend Acoustics 340lr, 340 center chanel and 170s as a surrounds.

And finally I narrowed my choice of AV receivers to these:

1. Pioneer Elite Pioneer VSX-55TXi [not sure about iLink, but I like the remote control and macros];

2. Pioneer Elite Pioneer VSX-53TX;

3. YAMAHA RX-V1400;

4. YAMAHA RX-V2400;

Subwoofer either HSU VTF-3 or SVS PB1-ISD [did not decided yet, but eliminated M&K MK2 150 after speaking with DF at Ascend]

May be you give me some inputs also... [the best with Ascends and moneywise...]

But please do not start a war over it :p

Did anybody tried that configuration with above mentioned speakers?

What woulb be your choice to drive these Ascends?

Number of video inputs are important to me as the upconversion of Yamahas, but I do not want it to be the major factor in the decision.

I am looking for sound quality, features are seconds.

I like the Pioneers menu navigation more then Yamahas.

Pioneer has bass management system and Yamaha does not, right?

Also I do not to spend more then nesessary to drive my speakers.

So value is important also.

I did not find any dealer who has Pioneer and Yamaha in their house.

So I never had any chance A/B comparison in the room with the same speakers. Actually I did not find any Yamaha dealer who has a setup with these new receivers, only old.

I'm open to hear whatever you have to say or recomend.

Please feel free to share your experience. :)

Thank you all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It appears that nobody has anything close to my configuration

:confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Based on these choices the decision will be more budget driven.

All of these mid-range receivers will have enough power for your speakers. Then it comes down to price vs. features. I am also looking at the 55TXi. I understand that if you don't use the i-link, you won't get any benefit from MCACC on DVDA/SACD sources. So understanding the features of each is critical to your decision. Do you want to go to 7.1 in the future - then maybe DPLIIx will be important to you, which the Yamaha's now offer.

Don't forget about the Denon 3803 which has better DAC/DSP chips than what's on this list and the HK7200 which puts out about 140 wpc (5 driven)

A lot of great choices and tons of info here to help :) .

·
Registered
270 Posts
actually some of the Ascend guys run h/k recievers, I know curtis does, I do.

I runs ascends coupled with a svs sub.

I have a h/k avr430, and my ascends sound perfect being powered through them. They make the speakers sound warm and natural and help edge out some of the brightness. I think its a perfect combo. you may want to check it out.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
personally, I'm leaning towards the 1400 or 53tx, since these are the cheapest receivers with auto equalization. My ht room will not be ideal, so I feel I need to have equipment that compensates for this..

I sure wish that HK, Denon and Marantz would jump on the mcacc/ypao bandwagon though... Although HK has ezSet it's not anywhere in the same league, since it only adjusts level and distance. (which can be done using an spl meter anyway, and probably more accurately)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well...i just finished my newbie setup with an H/K AVR-630.......to go along with 4 CBM-170s, a CMT-340c, and an HSU STF-2.

This system upgrades me from my current Toshiba 32" TV speakers.

Someone want to calm my nerves about my purchase with a "itll sound real good"?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Sorry I missed all of this.

But yes...I have been very happy with my Ascend CMT-340's and HK 525. I also just recently began to use an ATI AT1505 power amp as well, which has seem to put more authority into the bottom end of the speakers.

HK and Ascends sound real good!

I know other Ascend owners that are happy with NADs and Pioneer Elites. And I am also very intrigued by the auto calibration and EQ features of the Elites and Yamahas.

Don't forget to visit the ascend forum www.ascendforum.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.