AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i know these threads get posted all the time but i need some help!

i'm looking for a receiver, 5.1 would probably be enough, where i'd be able to connect my hd-cable box(hdmi), my xbox360 with hdmi and hd dvd player, and maybe in the future a seperate dvd player from the xbox.

my question is what would be a good receiver for me around the $400-$500 price range that would suit my needs, also does anyone what the audio the xbox 360 with hdmi is cable of outputing is it just dts and dd?

i'm looking to slowly piece a HT together, you're help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If I recall correctly, HDMI for the 360 with the HD DVD add on won't give you TrueHD. It's still downcoded to DTS or DD.

You should confirm that.

If that's true, it shouldn't matter which one you use. But HDMI can transfer both audio and video to an AVR simplifying your hookup, if that's what you desire. And you may need HDMI for 1080p output, but I am unsure of that as well. (I have a 360, but no HDMI)

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Oh yeah, check out the Yamaha RX-V661. You should also take a look at Onkyo, Harmon Kardon and Denon.

They all have their quirks, it seems

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i saw an strdg510 yesterday that came with infiniti speakers for 599, but the receiver didnt have hdmi i believe, obviously the 910 is a step up right?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf /forum/post/12859276

i saw an strdg510 yesterday that came with infiniti speakers for 599, but the receiver didnt have hdmi i believe, obviously the 910 is a step up right?

The 510 has HDMI but it's just pass through. The 910 is the top of the STR-DGx10 line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts