AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of putting together an Atmos home theater and am trying to decide on the best receiver. I have decided on Def Tech Mythos STS SuperTower surround system with 2 subs and 4 ceiling speakers, Epson 5030UB 2D/3D and a Silver Ticket 135" Diagonal 16:9 Projector.

I have checked out the few listed below.

Denon AVR-X5200W

Onkyo TX-NR1030

Integra DTR-60.6

I have recently been educated about hdcp 2.2 compatibility but not sure this is something that should sway my decision.

What receiver would you choose if you were putting together an Atmos system?

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
I am in the process of putting together an Atmos home theater and am trying to decide on the best receiver. I have decided on Def Tech Mythos STS SuperTower surround system with 2 subs and 4 ceiling speakers, Epson 5030UB 2D/3D and a Silver Ticket 135" Diagonal 16:9 Projector.

Denon AVR-X5200W

Onkyo TX-NR1030

Integra DTR-60.6

I have recently been educated about hdcp 2.2 compatibility but not sure this is something that should sway my decision.

Are you doing 5.2.4 or 7.2.4? If doing the 7 plus 4 atmos speakers you'll need an external amp. The Onkyo 3030 has 11 channels of on board amplification. It simplifies things a little.

As for automatic room eq software, most like it, some don't, in the end it's all about the end user, whic is you.

Best thing to do is get one of each and compare them in your own room and see which you like best. It's quite a bit of work and there maybe shipping or restocking costs but if you're spending >$1500 you might as well get the one you know you like best.

No reason to compare an Onkyo to the Integra, they're all but identical.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Greetings:

Read a few days ago that you can use a 7.1 receiver and another amp can be applied that the Blu Ray DVD player would be able to mix the Atmos DVD if set to bit-stream, has any one else heard of this or read of it... In other word do not need a Atmos receiver???

·
Registered
598 Posts

Denon AVR-X5200W

Onkyo TX-NR1030

Integra DTR-60.6

I sent you a PM with my thoughts and some info.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

·
Premium Member
93,225 Posts
Greetings:

Read a few days ago that you can use a 7.1 receiver and another amp can be applied that the Blu Ray DVD player would be able to mix the Atmos DVD if set to bit-stream, has any one else heard of this or read of it... In other word do not need a Atmos receiver???
Without an Atmos AVR, the only thing that AVR can play is the Dolby TrueHD track. Only an Atmos AVR can play the Atmos audio on an Atmos BD or use the new Dolby Surround Upmixer on non-Atmos BDs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your PJ is only 1080p so HDCP 2.2 is a moot point. The Denon uses the more advanced Audyssey MultEQ EQ XT32 which EQ's all speakers and the sub while the Onkyo and Integra use Onkyo's own AccuEQ which does not EQ the Front speakers nor the subwoofer.
Your PJ is only 1080p so HDCP 2.2 is a moot point.

I understand that the 2.2 is a moot point with the epson projector but if all things are relatively equal between receivers why not choose a receiver that can handle the 2.2 if I upgrade to the 4K projector down the road.

That's the real question, are all things equal?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Given the 3 options, I would get the Denon.

But, none of them are good options IMO. This years receivers will be HDCP 2.2 compliant at 18 gpbs. I think it's worth waiting a few months to get one that will work better with 4K material. Even though you don't need 4K right now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Given the 3 options, I would get the Denon.

But, none of them are good options IMO. This years receivers will be HDCP 2.2 compliant at 18 gpbs. I think it's worth waiting a few months to get one that will work better with 4K material. Even though you don't need 4K right now.
KidHorn I really appreciate that advice as I may decide to wait. What brand would be you first / second choice in the 2000-2500 range? Also, when should I expect the new models to be released?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I run a projector too, so 2.2 is useless to me. Also, I don't think I'd ever go back to a tv, unless somehow I can get a 130" tv in the next few years for $700...

Anyways, I went denon x5200 because audyssey xt32 was important to me, and I've been blown away. I was close to buying an older Denon 4520 and am glad I went with the newer model. I watched transformers in atmos and loved it, I also have ready enjoyed dsu for music

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
KidHorn I really appreciate that advice as I may decide to wait. What brand would be you first / second choice in the 2000-2500 range? Also, when should I expect the new models to be released?
I would get a Denon because of audyssey. I don't know the exact models that will be available since, as far as I know, no details have been released.

I assume there will be a successor to the 5200 and that's probably what I would get. Typically the lower end models are released first around April/May, then the mid level in June/July and the high end around September. This applies to all brands. In your price range, I would think you would get a high end unit that will be available around September.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would get a Denon because of audyssey. I don't know the exact models that will be available since, as far as I know, no details have been released.

I assume there will be a successor to the 5200 and that's probably what I would get. Typically the lower end models are released first around April/May, then the mid level in June/July and the high end around September. This applies to all brands. In your price range, I would think you would get a high end unit that will be available around September.
Thank you so much for your advice. I'm not sure I can wait that long so I may just go with the x5200 now and worry about 2.2 down the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Decided to go with the Denon AVR-X7200W.

Here is why: While the stock AVR-X7200W can deliver 4K picture quality, it's not HDCP 2.2 compliant right out of the box. That means it can't pass through video from copy-protected 4K sources. However, Denon is offering a free upgrade to the HDMI board for HDCP 2.2 compatibility. Available Spring 2015; receiver must be shipped to an authorized Denon service center.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts