AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on using it for lots of movies, playing video games like PS2, xbox360 and PS3 in the future, watching tv not sure if Sat or Cable yet.

My friend is an employee so I can get the discount as well. I've been looking at the top of the line (for best buy) Denon AVR3806, Pioneers (can't remember model off hand) and Yamaha- HTR-5590. What are the pro's and cons of each. Sound Quality is very important to me. I will be using the receiver to drive the speakers as well so I'm not sure how they really stack up against each other as stats don't really seem to be accurate.

Gear:

I will be buying a 60" HDTV very soon as well, most like the SXRD

Speakers: Energy C-5's, C-3's, Energy 12" Sub (probably replace the sub one day)

Zenith: DVB318 (upconverting over component/DVI)

·
Registered
748 Posts
I bought my seperates at Magnolia. I like the store. If I were you, I would look at a B&K receiver, if they have them, or the Denon 4806 or 5805. I guess it depends on if your budget and your friend's discount are compatible. If you are going to spring for an SXRD, you should deserve sound to equal your picture quality.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from what they had the 3806 was the best Denon and the $1,500 MSRP Pioneer as well.. I guess I will look around at the B & K receiver and maybe some separates as well tonight and do a bit more research before pulling the trigger. Thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
from what they had the 3806 was the best Denon and the $1,500 MSRP Pioneer as well.. I guess I will look around at the B & K receiver and maybe some separates as well tonight and do a bit more research before pulling the trigger. Thanks

If the 3806 was the best Denon they had, they are woefully under-inventoried. Look at the threads in this forum on the Denon 4806 and its' big bro', the 5805. The latter has had some rave reviews.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup, that is all they had.. I even went back last night to see what else.. Is the 3806 not good enough? what are the benefits of stepping up to the 4806?

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
yup, that is all they had.. I even went back last night to see what else.. Is the 3806 not good enough? what are the benefits of stepping up to the 4806?
I think you should do some of your own real research on the various brands and their model numbers, before committing yourself to buying just any one product or model number! Sure asking questions here can help, but it does not replace you doing your own research and comparisons. Because many here will only recommend what they own, and not something else that you yourself may actually prefer over what they happen to own!

So here you go..... Start comparing.....

http://www.bkcomp.com/

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/11.asp

http://us.marantz.com/Products/172.asp

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...6_4155,00.html

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/r...eiver_main.htm

·
Registered
757 Posts
why the ponderance of such a question?? whatever they [magnolia] say is best, would be the best (i guess).

they of course will sell you whatever makes them the most money, discount or not.

i think you're better off getting what you need and anticipate needing (in terms of features)...

if a avr3806 is the best denon they have and it fits your needs, then get it. if some other less costly unit fits your needs then get that one.... do they have any Pioneer Elite units ??

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks Capfacsurf , Johnla and Denon_Kid

The top 3 or 4 are all within a couple hundred dollars of each other after discount.

Unfortunately they are not set up on the same speakers so I can't do any fair comparisions myself as to which ones would sound the best. Feature wise they all seem adequate for what I'll be doing which is hooking up video games, dvd player, PS3/blu-ray and Sat or Comcast cable. to a 60" Sony SXRD.

I honestly don't think I'd need better than any of those three models and sound quality is very important to me.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote:
the models for the Pioneers are the

VSX-74TXVi MSRP of $1,500
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...584179,00.html

VSX-72TXV MSRP of $1,200
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...584183,00.html

How does the sound quality compare with these versus the denon versus the Yamaha?
Which one has the sexiest remote???

Seriously.... you need to do the research for yourself and see which one YOU like better. All 4 you have mentioned are good pieces and everyone will have their favorite. I just went through about a month of research and decided to go with Pioneer. You may or may not come to the same conclusion.

Happy hunting,

-Eli

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
If it's Best Buy, buy two and take one back, whichever you don't like.

Just bought a Boston VR/VP 5.1 setup and the Pioneer 1015 with my buddy this week for just under his budget of $2400. No discounts or anything, but it's 24 month no interest on his Best Buy card, so it was all good to him. Made him take back the $120 Audioquest HDMI cable he bought earlier. For the same price, got 90' of 12ga, a coax digi cable, the HDMI-DVI cable, and a subwoofer RCA cable from BlueJeansCable.com.

I was surprised. They had the Vienna Acoustics line of speakers. But no pre/pros? Not even the Sherwood Newcastle (don't they sell Sherwood America products on the main floor?)? Oh well. Back to buying online for me.

As for Denon AVR-3806 vs. the Pioneer Elites (72 and 74) vs. the Yamaha (don't know the HTR models, RX-V1600 and RX-V2600 equivalents are the only competition to the stated Denon and Pioneer models), like has already been said, read the manuals, play with them, etc. The all have slightly different feature sets; one might have what you will need specifically. Things like digital to analog audio conversion for room 2 and record out vs. analog to digital video conversion, with or without deinterlacing and/or scaling vs. firewire, etc.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, I will just read up more.. I can't really buy and take back as it is an employeed purchase and I'm not the employee..

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Based on my humble opinion, I personally would prefer Pioneer Elite given the two options. The MCACC calibration is very easy to setup and effective for most users. The Elite also has the firewire (I-link) in addition to the HDMI. Firewire is still the best digital-type connection far superior to HDMI for audio, and this connection is ommitted in the Denon AVR3806 from what I gather. Denon have always sounded very dry to me. The amplifier of the Pioneer is a little more full-bodied and natural sounding. Plus you get a 2 year warranty as opposed to 1 on the Denon. The Elite doubles as an excellent pre-amp in case you decide to upgrade to an outboard amplifier at some point in time. Good luck!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Don't limit yourself to BB!

I've nothing against them, but I found Tweeter much better. Much quieter & listening rooms w/o store noise. Magnolia sections I've seen & heard still have lots of store noise to deal with.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Want to pick me up some Mozart Grands and a Maestro Grand? :p

Yeah, check out the feature set and go from there. The Pioneer does have the iLink / firewire interface, but if you're not going to get a DVD player with firewire out, then so what. The Pioneer 79 is a nice universal player, if you're getting that too, but even with a discount, it won't come close to the price of an Oppo 970 or 971. But if you are looking to get into SACD and DVD-Audio, then the 79 and the firewire connection become much more interesting. Etc., etc., etc.

With a discount, the 74 and 72 are too close to not just scratch the 72 and only think 74. If the Denon 4306 is an option, that's certainly something to look at (it deinterlaces/scales on the HDMI out as well as converts analog to digital, which is all the 3806 does), but the 4806 is a wholely different price point. If all they have are the HTR Yamaha models, well, I like the RX-V, but I can't say what difference there is between them these days (used to be no zone 2, etc.).

You could try listening to them, but I really can't say put much stock in that. Unless you're about to drag in your own speakers at least and use them.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_w
Denon receivers have a 2 year warranty.
I stand corrected. They mustve changed to compete with Pioneer. When did that happen?

How are those new Vienna Grands? I was never too thrilled with the previous Mozarts. Too warm and subdued sounding. But I havent heard the new models. I heard a newly reworked tweeter and crossovers improved on the design a bit.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Haven't really tried them out. Trying them at the store is a waste of time to me. At least the HiFiBuys I worked at in the 90's where we had them had then on real gear, Audio Research, Classe, Meridian, etc. Nothing even close to that at a Magnolia, not the one I was in.

Not sure I like the darker finish (I have beech, not sure what they call the tannish color these days). I've always liked the Mozarts though. Liked the Sonus faber Electa Amator's and Extrema's better, but perferred the VA's to the Concert/Home lineup, which is more the matching nature and price point.

No interest in changing speakers really right now. Need a new pre/pro so I can pick up PLIIx and a better center/surrounds amp and a video processor first. Want 48Hz DVD playback on my projector. Played with the idea with a HTPC, and oh yeah, time to make it happen. I'll have no savings for years. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
There are two types of Magnolias - the freestanding Magnolia Audio/Video stores, with commissioned salespeople and a wider range of in stock electronics and speakers (B+K, Krell, Macintosh, etc.). The Magnolia Home Theater stores are inside Best Buys, and therefore, due to less floor space, carry fewer products in store. They cannot sell the B+Ks or other like units, but for Pre-Pros and separate amps do have access to Primare, which by all accounts are some fantastic units. Some stores don't have them in the demo room yet, but can order them. Some of the stores that have been around longer do have Primare already. It's unfortunate for those who don't have them though, because the Martin Logan Claritys and the Vienna Acoustics really demand a higher power, lower impedance-capable amplifier.

Any of the Denon receivers can be ordered by the Mini-Mags, but just aren't on display.

If any of you have further questions about the Mini-Mags, let me know - I work at a Best Buy with one, and although I'm not an offical Magnolia salesperson, I am trained to a basic extent (mostly self taught) to sell in there during the busiest times. (Nice deal for BB...I get paid about $5 an hour less than Magnolia folks, but can sell it as well as most of them...hmph.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.