AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to keep it under $1000. New or used, sound quality is important as is power. It will have to drive 5 M&K's. My HK AVR75 with the M&K's sounds great with music as well as movies but shuts down all the time, I don't know if it's a heat issue or not, because sometimes it shuts down without anything playing through it. It used to just shut down once in a while but now I have to do something about it. I'm not sure if I want to bother getting it fixed as it's already been in the shop once and it doesn't have pro logic II or another digital input for future technology.

I just bought a Panasonic TH-50PX600U and I assume I can plug my dvd player right into it and won't need the receiver to do the switching? I talked to a salesman at Magnolia when I was looking at plasma's, and he mentioned that most receivers are going to have trouble driving the M&K's and I'd need something that could handle the 4 ohm load. I'd like to get something that would make the M&K's sound great and have features that wouldn't make it a dinosaur. Enough inputs for my cablebox/tivo, dvd, blueray? and some processing for 2 channel audio like dolby pro logic II.

·
Registered
856 Posts
marantz sr7001 http://us.marantz.com/Products/172.asp

outlaw audio 1070 http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html

my first 2 choices if I were in your boat. the marantz you can most likely listen to at b&m shops nearby and purchase online for a considerable discount. The outlaw is a rock of a receiver that is internet direct only but has a 30-day in home trial you would pay return shipping if it didn't fit your needs. marantz has the hdmi capability whereas the outlaw has dvi. Can't go wrong imo from a sound perspective and both will drive your m&k's for HT and music shouldn't be a problem either.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Although nice suggestions, I wouldn't count on either of those receivers to "properly" power your M&Ks. I also have M&Ks (7.1 system, S-150's). You really need to find a receiver that specifies 4 ohms driven to be sure you have no problems. I know many of the higher watt Denons can power the M&Ks, but even Denon doesn't recommend using them into 4 ohms.

The $1,000 limit is a challenge. You might be better off looking for a used unit to meet your requirements. One solid unit that can power those speakers is B&K's 507 S2. This is a high current receiver that has more than enough power for the M&Ks. I sold one recently and IIRC Jason (AVS) had one for sale recently. He wants more than $1K, but it is still a very good buy. It does have most of what you want, but no HDMI. B&K also allows for upgrades, when appropriate.

Keep in mind that just because a receiver CAN power your speakers, doesn't mean it should.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Sounds like you should be considering an outboard amp and pick whatever receiver provides you the features you want.

I believe amps that drive 4ohms are more common than receivers which do. Many receivers provide preouts for connection to an amp.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey wiffleball and fellow Washingtonian and fellow MK owner!

I also have the same issue. I've 5 B1500s and first used an onkyo 703 with it. Sounded ok but not that great. Just tried a Denon 887 with slightly better results. I'm currently looking at the Emotiva LPA-1 but since my budget is really only about $600, I'm having to find a $100 option to go from my HTPC to the Emotiva.

Since you've $1k to spend, how about the LPA-1 with the pre/pro that they have as well (can't remember the model number)

Christopher

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I am running M&K S150's with Aragon Amps. I like it loud and clear, and Aragon amps will drive them M&K's w/o even breaking a sweat.

Use the pre outs of your HK and get Aragon amps to feed the M&K's.

Some of thier models are:

4004 Mk II

8008x3

Palladiums

Aragon has been bought out by Klipsch, so look for the older models that I have listed above.

You can still find them on ebay for under $1000

·
Registered
64 Posts
To echo JLGlaw's comments, I have the same s-150 7.1 setup and used the top of the line Pioneer receiver 3 or 4 years ago to drive them. The Pioneer popped just like your HK is doing and I ended up buying a big B&K amp to mate with the Pio. Worked fine. A month later I bought a Lexicon processor to give the M&Ks the respect they deserved.

If you're going to spring $5k for speakers you will end up with separates sooner or later so buy an amp now and you'll be able to mate it with an excellent processor down the road...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First of all I think I'm going to dump the HK receiver because I can't even count on it to work even at with nothing going through it.

Christopher, good to hear from somebody close by, I'm just across the water in kitsap county. That Emotiva setup sounds intriguing, I need to read up on them. I haven't paid much attention to audio equipment in the last few years since I thought I had my sound under control. I'm a musician, so I'm more into PA and guitars/amps, but I want great sounding HiFi.

Thanks and keep sending the suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had M&K 150s/250s/350 for several years. Three years ago I bought an Onkyo TX-DS797 to drive them. The TX-DS797 is what Onkyo calls "4 ohm capable". It has all the sound fields and is THX select certified. It plays as loud as I can stand it. Used ones are in the $350 range. Onkyo has several receivers in it's current offering in your price range that are "4 ohm capable" and THX select certified. These are the TX-SR703, TX-SR803 and TX-SR804. The TX-SR804 is currently available from CircuitCity at $700.

So, do I recommend Onkyo? A month ago I would have said yes, but a couple of weeks ago the subwoofer pre-out stopped putting out a signal. Everything else works. I haven't priced out the repair charge but I am considering my options. One of which is to look at other brands, new or used.

The M&K's are worth designing a system around.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I absolutely love the sound of my M&K's, and I don't want to have to start over buying 5 speakers. I've been very lucky and patient. I found an ad for a couple of sattelites and a sub for an absurd price and snatched em up. It took me 3 years to find the surrounds and the center used, because I just didn't have the money. I ended up spending about 1/4 of what I would have new. I'll think about the Onkyo but after the problems I've had with the HK, I really like the idea of a 5 year warranty of the Emotiva and if I get a good sounding amp, keep that and just upgrade the pre/receiver when I have to have the latest and greatest new thing.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have had over 20avrs with my M&K system. 1st take rotel if based on sound quality only. 2. Only other choice is marantz.

I now have the sr8400. I have also had the marantz sr7400, sr5500 & stereo 4200.

The 7 series and up will drive your m&k's fine

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input, the receiver probelm was cause by several wiring issues. I still do want to get another receiver within the next year or two. Also I emailed M&K, and they had quite a few suggestions for receivers that people have been very happy with and ones that people have been unhappy with. He compiled this from a huge number of costumer comments. The impressive thing is that every one of your suggestions or non-suggestions (Pioneer and Onkyo) were exactly the same as M&K except Emotiva and I think that's because they are a new company and they didn't have any background from people who've bought them. You guys are amazing!, either that or you've emailed them for advice also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I second that. I'd like to know what M&K said. I'm thinking to go separates at this point. (Does anyone make pre-amps that don't break? Does anyone make amps that don't break)? I think my 150s are rated at 400 watts. My 250 sides are rated at 200 watts. So am I looking at a 5 channel that is rated at 200 watts/channel (at 4 Ohms) or at a three channel at 400 in the front and a 2-channel amp at 200 watts?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I probably shouldn't post a private email. If you're specific on what you want I'm sure they will answer your questions. The basic thing is he steered me towards Denon and Marantz for my price range. Yes there was a bunch of stuff he liked, not all of it high priced.

I ended up buying an Emotiva last night from a guy that installs home theater setups. I listened for quite a while with my own speakers. I bought the UL amp/pre amp. Rated all channels driven at 125w/channel 8ohms and 225w at 4ohms. I just got a chance to listen to it tonight at home and it sounds good. Maybe a bit brighter and maybe more detailed and cleaner compared to my HK, I need to listen some more. My sub sounds better for some reason, not sure if the Emotiva has a better crossover for the sub or what. It was extremely quite, with the volume way up between songs there was practically zero noise. I've never heard that low of noise in any setup before. There is definitely some power to it, I couldn't imagine having it all the way up without some pain. My HK also had enough power for my living room, just not painfully loud but louder than I ever needed. The disappointing thing though, is that the new speakers I bought for my other room (surround 550thx) sounded brittle and not as smooth as my 2b's (15yr old M&K's). I'm not big on speaker break in, but maybe that's the case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.