AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Reciever Is The Best and What Shud I Buy ???

I'm looking to spend at most $500 on a new receiver and I wanted to get everybody's opinions on what they own and like. I really only need 5.1 with the latest codecs. I want it to have clean audiophile sound and look cool. An illuminated remote is also a plus. Also, an on-screen video display would create a jungle gym in my pants. Here are my thoughts at what I'm looking at:

Yamaha: I hear that these are good and sound great, but the RX-V1900 I want is $1,300. I also do not care for the amber display.

Marantz: I like the new design, illuminated remote, and great sound of the SR5003. What I don't like is that its $200 over my budget.

Pioneer: I don't know much about their sound or quality. I know they have a new line that just debuted at CES and I like the styling.

Onkyo: I know I don't like the style or green display. Seem to be a good value.

Sony: I own one now I'm looking for a change.

Denon: I hate the design, the name, the remotes, the overpricing, could care less about this crap company.

Harmon Kardon: Don't know squat about them. They look decent.

·
Registered
472 Posts
IMHO, you're expecting a bit too much out of a $500 receiver. And, who cares what it looks like when your in the dark watching a movie.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Sounds like you've already done some homework. Look into the Pioneer VSX-1018 and the Onkyo TX-SR706. If the money is really an issue, the Pio 918 or Onkyo 606, with the 606 being a step up over the 918.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven /forum/post/15593751

IMHO, you're expecting a bit too much out of a $500 receiver. And, who cares what it looks like when your in the dark watching a movie.

I have to look at it when the lights are on so yes its a big deal.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Buy a Denon-my model has gui for onscreen display...never get into it though....my wife notices the jungle gym in my pants, guess that is the only reason I purchased it. You could always put a brown bag over it when the lights are on

·
Registered
573 Posts
HK is known for producing nice warm sounding products. However, they are or were the last time I looked on the more pricey side. Of all the major manufacturers, they are the one that you'll get more than advertised power. Most others are overstated. Accessories4less.com is an authorized dealer for Marantz factory refurbs and they have the 5003 for $549. I purchased a refurb Onkyo TX-8522 2-channel and a Marantz SR 4003 7.1 AVR from them a year ago for our lake house and they were both good buys and good systems.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
check out the marantz t accesories4less.....its under your budget. i might have snagged that if i had noticed it before i just bought my denon...btw they look awesome in person...not sure why you hate the new design.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Master /forum/post/15593234

I'm looking to spend at most $500 on a new receiver and I wanted to get everybody's opinions on what they own and like. I really only need 5.1 with the latest codecs. I want it to have clean audiophile sound and look cool. An illuminated remote is also a plus. Also, an on-screen video display would create a jungle gym in my pants. Here are my thoughts at what I'm looking at:

Yamaha: I hear that these are good and sound great, but the RX-V1900 I want is $1,300. I also do not care for the amber display.

Marantz: I like the new design, illuminated remote, and great sound of the SR5003. What I don't like is that its $200 over my budget.

Pioneer: I don't know much about their sound or quality. I know they have a new line that just debuted at CES and I like the styling.

Denon: I hate the design, the name, the remotes, the overpricing, could care less about this crap company.

yeah for $500 you are asking for too much. There is no such thing as best receiver in that price range. They all sound fine and no one is superior to other in that price range. I dont think the Denon's look that bad.

I have tried them all and there is not much sound quality difference. I dont consider an AVR for $500 as audiophile but they sound just fine. I have heard a $5000 meridian amp and the PSB Imagine T speakers and also a $2000 NAD amp and the Anthony Gallo 3.1 speakers. That I call audiophile but I cant afford them either. I bought the Denon 2809CI as there is a great deal now. 25% off and another $200 off. Search the net I cant mention the names here. If you want audiophile sound you have to use better amps and better source and better speakers of course.

You have to check the features and look at the price and make a decision. You can get Yamaha 663 much less than your budget. You can get 25% off now. 663 is a better value as it does all the HDMI audio and SACD (DSD) and also has pre-outs and 12v trigger. Onkyo 606 or Marantz SR5003 dont have pre-outs or 12V trigger. You need them if you want to use external amp in future. You have to get to 2809 to get the pre-outs and 12V trigger. So 663 is a good value budget receiver. The remote is very light but it is decent.

If you want a glossy black look then Pioneer receivers are for you. Like I said check for features, price etc and dont make a decision based on looks.

I had the 663 but I returned it and ordered 2809 as 2809 has better DAC and better power supply, better capacitors etc. etc. and also decent price.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Unless someone has a 4ohm speaker with low sensitivity, any of the $500 AVR's should be fine. I doubt that someone who has a 4ohm speaker would buy a $500 receiver because 4ohm speakers are generally expensive and so I expect that person to also invest on an expensive amp to drive such speakers i.e you need more power to drive them and also those are really good speakers so there is no point driving them uisng budget AVR's. You could use the budget AVR as a pre-pro but again you are limited by the SQ of the AVR. Anyway.... there is a lot of discussion on this topic here. If you have some time you can read them through. Go to the emotiva thread and read some of the posts under my user id and the replies. There was a good discussion.

If you have 8ohm speakers with sensitivity of some 90db, you dont need more than some 50wpc unless you plan on playing at 100db or louder then you might not have the ears for the rest of your life :)

You can get brand new Yamaha 663 for $375 from an authorixed dealer. Do some search.

BTW what kind of speakers do you have.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi /forum/post/15599125

Unless someone has a 4ohm speaker with low sensitivity, any of the $500 AVR's should be fine. I doubt that someone who has a 4ohm speaker would buy a $500 receiver because 4ohm speakers are generally expensive and so I expect that person to also invest on an expensive amp to drive such speakers i.e you need more power to drive them and also those are really good speakers so there is no point driving them uisng budget AVR's. You could use the budget AVR as a pre-pro but again you are limited by the SQ of the AVR. Anyway.... there is a lot of discussion on this topic here. If you have some time you can read them through. Go to the emotiva thread and read some of the posts under my user id and the replies. There was a good discussion.

If you have 8ohm speakers with sensitivity of some 90db, you dont need more than some 50wpc unless you plan on playing at 100db or louder then you might not have the ears for the rest of your life :)

You can get brand new Yamaha 663 for $375 from an authorixed dealer. Do some search.

BTW what kind of speakers do you have.

I have a 5.1 NHT VT1.A speaker system.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1108024

The 663 looks ok when did it come out?

What do you think of these new Pioneers?

http://i.gizmodo.com/5125654/pioneer...e-connectivity

·
Registered
932 Posts

Quote:

Obviously a troll...

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi /forum/post/15599080

yeah for $500 you are asking for too much. There is no such thing as best receiver in that price range. They all sound fine and no one is superior to other in that price range. I dont think the Denon's look that bad.

I have tried them all and there is not much sound quality difference. I dont consider an AVR for $500 as audiophile but they sound just fine. I have heard a $5000 meridian amp and the PSB Imagine T speakers and also a $2000 NAD amp and the Anthony Gallo 3.1 speakers. That I call audiophile but I cant afford them either. I bought the Denon 2809CI as there is a great deal now. 25% off and another $200 off. Search the net I cant mention the names here. If you want audiophile sound you have to use better amps and better source and better speakers of course.

You have to check the features and look at the price and make a decision. You can get Yamaha 663 much less than your budget. You can get 25% off now. 663 is a better value as it does all the HDMI audio and SACD (DSD) and also has pre-outs and 12v trigger. Onkyo 606 or Marantz SR5003 dont have pre-outs or 12V trigger. You need them if you want to use external amp in future. You have to get to 2809 to get the pre-outs and 12V trigger. So 663 is a good value budget receiver. The remote is very light but it is decent.

If you want a glossy black look then Pioneer receivers are for you. Like I said check for features, price etc and dont make a decision based on looks.

I had the 663 but I returned it and ordered 2809 as 2809 has better DAC and better power supply, better capacitors etc. etc. and also decent price.

What is an A12V Trigger??

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAVADER /forum/post/15610032

Obviously a troll...

Definitely not a troll, I'm looking for "sound" advice on a receiver. Please think before you open your hillbilly mouth and make yourself look like an ass.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:

Out of the brands you listed, Harman Kardon is the best. Check out the Harman direct store on ebay for deals on their refurbished stuff. Marantz also has decent sound quality, but not as much power IMO as the HK stuff.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardnok /forum/post/15610284

Out of the brands you listed, Harman Kardon is the best. Check out the Harman direct store on ebay for deals on their refurbished stuff. Marantz also has decent sound quality, but not as much power IMO as the HK stuff.

Really, what makes HK better than say Yamaha, Denon, etc ???

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs /forum/post/15593801

Sounds like you've already done some homework. Look into the Pioneer VSX-1018 and the Onkyo TX-SR706. If the money is really an issue, the Pio 918 or Onkyo 606, with the 606 being a step up over the 918.

skiOkemo

·
Registered
932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Master /forum/post/15610134

Definitely not a troll, I'm looking for "sound" advice on a receiver. Please think before you open your hillbilly mouth and make yourself look like an ass.

Calling Denon a crap company on a Home Theater forum is not exactly genius. They happen to make some of the most reliable receivers on the market.

A Hillbilly would never say something so stupid on a forum like this but then again no one is accusing you of having any brains.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
A "universal" question with such a broad background will inevitably lead to a gathering of people promoting "their" units or brands without much useful information or help.

At the end this will not be very helpful at all for the thread starter as is already evident...

1 - 20 of 181 Posts