AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi,

My receiver died on me, and my speakers (old 150SISAT JBL's that hit the floor about 20 times each) are going on 11 years old.  I want to replace everything.  I'm pretty well sold on the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers as they fit my budget, and  from what i understand fill i room well.  This setup is for a pretty large living room with large openings into the dining room and foyer.  I want a good receiver that will drive these speakers, and and run my entertainment center.  I need at least 4 HDMI inputs but would prefer more incise i need to add something else.  I would also prefer something that can easily receive music streamed from my android phone.  I have ~500-600 to spend (after purchasing the Pioneer AJ's), but would obviously prefer keep it on the lower end.  Also i would be open to replacing the Sub woofer from the AJ set with something else, if there is money left in the budget.  I liked the sony

I'm not an audiophile or anything, i just want something that sounds good when i watch movies, play games on the xbox one, or occassionally play some music.  I was leaning towards the sony str-dn1040, but the HDMI issues, particularly with the Xbox one scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I would go with a refurbished Denon AVR-X2000 from www.accessories4less.com

It comes with Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction, has 7 HDMI inputs, and penty of power for your needs. You also get 7.1 for future expansion should you do so since you have a large room. Denon has an app for Android or iOS to let you control your receiver, and you can stream services like Pandora, Spotify, and SiriusXM, as well as use Apple Airplay. You can also stream music over your network to the receiver.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxilX  /t/1524109/what-reciever-to-go-with-pioneer-andrew-jones-speakers#post_24523921

Not sure i feel comfortable going with a refurb, and new that reciever is out of my price range.  I'll think about it though, thanks!

My AVR-1913 is a refurb like a lot of other stuff I have. Only thing I'm missing is the original Denon Box. Refurb boxes tend towards plain, brown, generic, and foam shipping packing blocks often of the squirt-into-place nature. None of which matters and works as good as the origional.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxilX  /t/1524109/what-reciever-to-go-with-pioneer-andrew-jones-speakers#post_24523822

Hi,

My receiver died on me, and my speakers (old 150SISAT JBL's that hit the floor about 20 times each) are going on 11 years old.  I want to replace everything.  I'm pretty well sold on the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers as they fit my budget, and  from what i understand fill i room well.  This setup is for a pretty large living room with large openings into the dining room and foyer.  I want a good receiver that will drive these speakers, and and run my entertainment center.  I need at least 4 HDMI inputs but would prefer more incise i need to add something else.  I would also prefer something that can easily receive music streamed from my android phone.  I have ~500-600 to spend (after purchasing the Pioneer AJ's), but would obviously prefer keep it on the lower end.  Also i would be open to replacing the Sub woofer from the AJ set with something else, if there is money left in the budget.  I liked the sony

I'm not an audiophile or anything, i just want something that sounds good when i watch movies, play games on the xbox one, or occassionally play some music.  I was leaning towards the sony str-dn1040, but the HDMI issues, particularly with the Xbox one scared the crap out of me.
A couple weeks ago Best Buy had the Denon AVR-X1000 on sale for $350 (in store only, wasn't online). See if they are still doing that. Calling your local store and asking should tell you pretty quickly. If so, strongly consider that. 

Here is a great thread all about the current Denon lineup (and how it compares to last year's models)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq

I recently upgraded my 5-6 year old (kinda crappy) setup with the Pioneer speakers all the way around, except that I passed on the sub and went with a BIC F12, (was $193 on Amazon, Prime eligible, is now $200 even I think), as that is a popular budget sub. If you can spring for it the BIC PL-200 is supposed to be a nice upgrade from the F12, and one of the best budget options. And I went with a Denon X1000. I paid a little more than the Best Buy price, but less than the $425 you see quoted most places (check the thread above and call avscience or a quote before buying a Denon receiver)

I went with Denon for the AVR because of the big three mainstream good AVR manufacturers you usually see (Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha...and of course there are lots of others that are good choices) they were the one that had Audyssey (so does Onkyo, but not Yamaha they use their own thing, YPAO or something) but without any known issues (Onkyo seems to have been having HDMI board problems). The X1000 is the lowest model that gets Audyssey XT (the middle of the three levels). It can connect to your network (hardwire, no built in wifi) and stream music from the internet or connected devices. 

Look through this thread for the budget subwoofers.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364182/list-of-budget-subwoofers-300-and-less

Otherwise the refurb Denon AVR 1913 for ~$115 with shipping from AC4L is a great deal. I darn near ordered one myself to use in the bedroom in place of my 6 year old Sony receiver, but decided I didn't actually have the money for that after buying everything else lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

My main concern with a refurb is that i won't get good warranty support.  After getting what seems to be a very rare lemon of a Yamaha 667 that's important to me.  I also prefer make my purchase through amazon as I'm a prime member and free two day shipping is nice.  Amazon warehouse has refurb Denon x2000, I could grab for 450.  I may just take a new x1000 for the same price.  I don't currently need 7.1, and though it would be great to have the option, it's definitely not a requirement.

*edit* oh, and my bestbuy doesn't have the x1000 on sale.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxilX  /t/1524109/what-reciever-to-go-with-pioneer-andrew-jones-speakers#post_24524454

My main concern with a refurb is that i won't get good warranty support.  After getting what seems to be a very rare lemon of a Yamaha 667 that's important to me.  I also prefer make my purchase through amazon as I'm a prime member and free two day shipping is nice.  Amazon warehouse has refurb Denon x2000, I could grab for 450.  I may just take a new x1000 for the same price.  I don't currently need 7.1, and though it would be great to have the option, it's definitely not a requirement.

*edit* oh, and my bestbuy doesn't have the x1000 on sale.

Extended warrantys are something you can buy in the after market. If memory serves a true Denon factory refurb has 1 yr.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

While this still may not be as good a deal as the refurb... I noticed that amazon would give me a "$100 Amazon Promo Credit" for purchasing the Denon x2000.  Since i shop at amazon frequently that made it effectively $550, which was right in the middle of my price range and i pulled the trigger.  It says for "qualifying denon x2000s"  So I'm assuming it would not be good for the amazon refurb x2000, but if anyone else is interested it might be worth looking into.  This gives me the full 3 year warranty, which makes me happy.  Thanks for all the help.  I will be browsing that subwoofer thread to see if don't want to purchase something better than the Denon AJ 'woofer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.