AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new user here just found the sute and love it, and have a quesetion about which recorder to buy. I have a Comcast DVR and am wanting to get a recorder to move some of the stuff I have on there to DVD. My question is what would be a good recorder to do this. I have been looking at both ones with a hard drive and ones without hard drives. Do I need the hard drive one since the DVR has a hard drive? Would I have to sit there and monitor the transfer if I was to get one without a hard drive? I was looking at the Toshiba XS34 but do not want to buy it if I could just get one without the hard drive. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
If you want to edit the material you move from the DVR to a disc, you need a model with a hard drive.

If you just want to move what you have to disc for storage, a recorder without a hard drive will do this just fine.

For features and opinions on various models of both types, scan this board for experiences others have had with the various units.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The hard drive makes things much easier and you won't ever say "Gee, I wish this didn't have a hard drive."

I have the Comcast DVR and a Pioneer recorder with hard drive. With longer programs that have lots of commercials, I can record at a higher-quality setting to the hard drive and delete the commercials to fit to the DVD. Otherwise I'd have to sit there and pause and unpause during each commercial break - and not very accurately.

I also often record Comcast's analog channels directly to the DVD recorder's hard drive because analog channels take up much more space on the DVR than do the digital channels. This is one way i manage the available space on the PVR.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, I am going to keep searching this board to see user reviews on what else is out there. Thanks!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.