AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For CRT owners, what refresh rate do you use for film-based DVD movies? I'm curious to see how many people are running at 48hz, because whenever I try it, I get really bad flickering whether it's on my XG110 or my PC monitor.

There's a typo- that should be 71.928hz, if you didn't figure that out.

·
Registered
490 Posts
G'day Lifter,

the world doesn't revolve purely around NTSC .. there are heaps of us PAL users outside your shores :D

I put in a vote in the other box. I normally run 50Hz into my XG-110 and rarely perceive any flicker effect. It helps to have black curtains and ceiling though, as a bright decor will emphasis the flicker. Whenever I run NTSC content though I try and stay at 47.9xx Hz

Cheers :)

Russ

·
Registered
746 Posts
Other!

50Hz with PAL material (almost everything)

60Hz with NTSC material

It is so simple, when you (have to) use Skyworth 1050D.:D

Thats 50Hz is day by day seem to flicker more and more to my eyes.:mad:

With 50Hz I can see refresh rate based "crt-rainbow" too. (only when picture have big contrast difference and I move eyes fast horizontally)

Those are reasons why i have to update my player some day. Probably i have to go to 100 Hz, because I think there is only two way to go with PAL material, 50 Hz or 100Hz.

That how easy that flickering are seen, depend about your tubes. (manufacturer/type) Tubes have different "burning" times.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Other: 75hz for PAL

Ile, 75hz works fine for PAL.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wonsug
just a newbie question. why use 71.928hz instead of 72hz?
Film framerate isn't really 24 frames per second, its actually 23.976 frames per second. Getting a whole multiple is important, so the refresh rates are actually 47.952 and 71.928 Hz.

The same is true with 30 frames per second, its actually 29.97 frames per second, and a whole multiple is actually 59.94 Hz.

This is covered very well in the archives, its a popular question.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by benny
G'day Lifter,

the world doesn't revolve purely around NTSC .. there are heaps of us PAL users outside your shores :D

I put in a vote in the other box. I normally run 50Hz into my XG-110 and rarely perceive any flicker effect. It helps to have black curtains and ceiling though, as a bright decor will emphasis the flicker. Whenever I run NTSC content though I try and stay at 47.9xx Hz

Cheers :)

Russ
My mistake. I forgot there were other countires in the world. Typical American attitude I guess :). The purpose though is more to see those who do a reverse telecine vs. those who do not, and for those who do whether they use 48 or 72.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_A_W
Ile, 75Hz works fine for PAL.
That depending who you are asking for.:D

Some "true prophets" see more "micro twitching" in horizontal panning with 75Hz PAL.

I don`t want to commit on the matter, before I see it myself with good quality source. (connected to my own CRT)

I see more "micro twitching"(difference was not big) with 75Hz PAL, when I was testing "standard PC". But that doesn`t prove anything yet.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I don't see this at all - it doesn't make sense to me, unless you are referring to a 50hz interlaced source, rather than a film based 25hz source.

With interlaced source material, 75hz would do something weird, but I don't watch much, so it doesn't matter to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.