AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would just like to ask what remote control system and how it is setup for those that have their audio/video equipment setup in the back of the room or away from the listening area, ie, in closet, audio/video room? Thanks

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
RF remote, IR repeater, IP-based tablet, etc.

Look in the "Remote Controls" forum a few down from here for an absolute wealth of options and opinions!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with the other posters Harmony is the way to go.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Aside from Logitech remotes, just a suggestion:

Make sure CEC is enabled on your TV / AV unit. I have found that CEC has almost completely negated my need for the remote. When I hit the chromecast button on my app, the Denon wakes up, goes the the correct input, sets volume to 40 and also wakes up the Vizio TV. I can now also control the volume with my device.

CEC has been an awesome addition. (It's disabled by default on many tvs including vizio.)

·
Registered
Emotiva XMC-2, Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3, JVC NX7, NHT VT-3/VC-3/VR-3, NHT iC4-ARC x4, HSU VTF-3 MK5 x2
272 Posts
If you're open to considering an app-based solution, you might consider giving Roomie Remote a look. I've been using it exclusively for about a year on a fairly complex A/V and lighting setup, and aside from some issues with their tech support, it's been a very capable, flexible and convenient solution.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I'd recommend an RF remote. I have my speakers and TV on one side of my house and the equipment on the other. All the cabling runs in the basement. I have to point the remote at the TV to turn it on or off; otherwise, all the commands go to an RF receiver that converts to IR and outputs from IR blasters to the equipment.

I'm not using Harmony, but I wouldn't recommend my remote (too hard to program).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts