AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like a remote for home theater any ideas?

I was thinking about sony and pronto 3000

thanks jim

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My vote is for a Pronto, but be prepared to spend many hours getting it the way you want. You don't need to do fancy buttons and themes, but I have probably put over 100 hours into mine...

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
$60 Kameleon remote from Radio Shack.

Awesome, powerful, upgradeable, and wife friendly remote.

WELL worth it compared to the Sony AV2000 I used to have.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Prontos are good (the new TSU3000 has more hard keys than the older prontos, which is a nice improvement...)

For a lower price, Radioshack has some very good products... Their 15-2116 is a very nice remote if you want 'real' buttons. It doesn't have the 'wow' factor of the Kameleon, but I find it more convenient (control by feel in the dark, and LCD information display...)

(I strongly suggest you look at getting a JP1 cable if you are interested in the RS remotes, as this enables a lot of the hidden power of these products: ability to save your configurations on a PC, programming from a PC instead of for the remote, etc.)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Home Theater Master MX-500 - wonderful blend between buttons and LCD screens.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'll second Dukie on the MX-500.

I've had tons of remotes, including a Pronto and I just found the MX-500 to be the best for my needs. Very easy to set up, program etc. And it has a very nice ergonomic feel to it.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Dukie,

Not to nitpick what you said, but the MX-500 uses LCD screens for labels only. It's not a touchscreen. So, I wouldn't really consider it a "blend", as it is a hardbutton only remote - even though the function of some of the buttons can change. It is a great remote though, and lots of people really like it. It's probably one of the best hard button remotes out there.

When I think of remotes that I would consider a blend or a hybrid, I really just think of the Pronto 3000 and the NEO, the U Command 525, HTM MX-1000... something with touchscreen and hardbutton mix. Maybe that's just me...

my .02

David

·
Registered
129 Posts
IMHO:

pronto: only a few hard buttons; always having to look at the unit to see which area on the touchscreen to push.

MX500: after learnig where the buttons are (we all do) it's a snap to use, and you don't have to become a programmer to program it.

yes, i am biased cause i own one. i was going to get a pronto untill i read all the user reviews of the mx500 on remotecentral.com. many many reviewers had prontos first.

·
Registered
499 Posts
decide if you like hard buttons or LCD, I have pronto 1000 and I have heard its hard to set up, but I had no problem with it, I did most of it in an hour or two. Just remember if you go with Pronto 1000...don't know about others but for Macros that the REC button has been changed to the EDIT button, that took me forever to figure out.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The prontos are not hard to set up... for a basic configuration. Trouble is, they are 'infinitely flexible' (You can use any graphic of your choice for the buttons, besides the preset shapes. They don't force you into an organization by device, each with its own buttons using the same layout, etc.). With great power comes great opportunities to spend a lot of time on relatively small improvements (and interface design is not an easy art, by any means)

This being said, there are many preset codes, or files you can download from AVS or www.remotecentral.com, to speed the configuration phase. I also think that the prontos are the best at learning odd devices such as IR from keyboards, exotic remotes, etc. or at accomodating unusual or innovative components (PC media jukeboxes, tivos, DVD changers, video projector) which don't fit well with the predetermined layouts of conventional remotes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.