AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Sorry, I was under the impression that since the MS MCE remotes worked in XP that they all would. You can either get a MS branded remote, or this one which will work in XP with a minor hack.

Technically, any remote will work. It's the IR receivers that the 3rd party manufactures use that sometimes don't work in XP.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/17000988

Sorry, I was under the impression that since the MS MCE remotes worked in XP that they all would. You can either get a MS branded remote, or this one which will work in XP with a minor hack.

What's the minor hack? I have an Anyware remote and I managed to install the eHome driver in XP. However, I can only get it to respond in EventGhost but nowhere else.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The rmeotes are all RC6 type remotes and will work with any RC6 receiver. Its the receiver (as someone already pointed out) that don't work with different OSs.

I have the Anyware MCE Remote as well as the Microsoft Remote.

The Anyware receiver works only in Vista and is marketed as such.

The MS MCE receiver works out the box with all MS OSs (XP Home/PRO/MCE, Vista & 7).

You can't buy the MS Remote anymore. Look on ebay or other amazon/buy.com sellers. Make sure they have the big USB receiver.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I really love using my xBox 360 remote (really enjoy the 100% backlight keys) with Vista (I did use it with Xp before I downgraded) after a minor regedit change. It works perfectly with MCE and I was also able to remap the keys within MPC-HC so I can use it with that too.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanga /forum/post/17001376

What's the minor hack?

According to a reviewer on Newegg:

1. Plug in the USB receiver

2. Get the PID and VID from Device Manager

3. Type the PID and VID in irbus.inf

4. Update the device driver using the new irbus.inf

5. Use HIP Byremote to map each key