AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What setting do I choose on my DVD player in order to hear 24bit/192kHz stereo track from a DVD-A disc? I have a Toshiba 4800 DVD player.

I've selected the 'PCM' output but all I can get is 24/96. Could it be the limitation of my Outlaw 1050 receiver not able to display 24/192?

Thanks...RN:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You have to have a dvd player that supports the DVD-A format (Most do not) then you have to buy a disc that has that format (a lot only have 24/96 stereo tracks)

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
The 4800 is a dvd=a player.And I thought I read somewheres that all dvd=a have a 24/192 stereo track?

·
Registered
785 Posts
A DVD-A player will not output the full resolution through the digital output. Only the analog output lets you hear the full sound resolution.

Not all DVD-A discs have a 192KHz stereo track. If fact, only one of my eleven discs does. The other ten have a 96KHz stereo track.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prooftech,

I have the following DVD-A discs - How can I determine if these DVDs have a 24/192 stereo track? Which one of your discs have you heard the 24/192 track on and what can you say about it's quality as compared to 24/96.

Steely Dan - Two against nature

Eagles - Hotel California

Aaron Neville -

Also, on my Toshiba 4800 DVD-A Player - do I select Bitstream, PCM or Analog 6CH for the Audio Out setting in order to hear 24/192? I'm assuming the setting should be PCM. I usually choose Bitstream for the DTS discs and Analog 6 ch for the multi channel DVD-A discs which allows the player to decode the format. On my receiver, I set it to 'Direct' which tells the receiver not to decode any format and just allow the pass thru.

Thanks...RN

·
Registered
785 Posts
RNaval

Hotel California is my only 24/192 disc. I personally feel that some 24/96 stereo tracks from other discs sound better than this 24/192 stereo track. This is just my opinion, and others may feel differently than I do. I think the 5.1 track on Hotel California actually has more detail than the stereo track even though it has a lower sample rate. This stops me from making any meaningful comparison between 24/192 and 24/96.

My DVD player tells me what the disc’s audio resolution is. You can’t rely on a receiver to tell you because the player doesn’t output the full resolution through its digital output. If your player doesn’t tell you what the resolution is, the only way to find out is by looking at the disc’s case or the Internet.

I don’t own the same player as you, so you’ll want to verify what I’m about to say by looking in your manual. I think you should set your player on “bitstreamâ€. If my assumption is correct, “bitstream†will allow you to use the 6ch analog output for DVD-A and the digital output for DD and DTS without having to constantly switch the player’s settings back and forth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.