AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I am posting this here and in the CRT forum to get a variety of opinions. I run PowerDVD XP at 1280 x 720 @ 72Hz from my HTPC to my ECP4000. Pix is fantastic. I have tried running laserdiscs through dScaler at the same resolution...playing really more than anything...I want opionions at what I should run at. At the above resolution, close up scenes are great. What I notice, are far away scenes, or predominately blue scenes are noisy. Also, contrast is lacking through dScaler. Some scenes are ok, pending on content. What are you guys using HTPC running as a resolution for LD? How about DSS as that will be the next addition. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
A laserdisc would max out at 720x480. Anything above that, you are tweaking for the sweetspot of your projector, not the programming.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
You didn't indicate which LD player you have. If you don't have a Pioneer CLD-97 or better, you are not going to be happy with LD playback when compared to DVD. Only the most expensive and most recent Pioneer players were ever able to lick the chroma noise that always was an issue on LD.

Oh, yeah, I run my LD at the same resolution as DVD, 1280 x 720.

Vern

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is a LA3500 Denon. I thin ksome denon's were sourced from Pioneer, not sure of this one. In the review I read before purchase, it claimed that it had licked the chroma noise. The Denon retailed for $2800 and was one of their final players, in production for the last 3-4 years of ld. Does that help any?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.