AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a Panasonic Plasma delivered tomorrow. I would like to get everything ready tonight. For those of you with setups similar to this, what resolution do you use? I would imagine 856x480, but searches proved fruitless.

I have a Radeon 9500 card in my HTPC and plan to use the VGA/PC input on the TV. That seems like it would be the best as it avoids the dongle (and another piece of kit.)

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
491 Posts
Phoenix - I also have the 42PD3-P plamsa hooked up via VGA to my Radeon 8500 video card. I found that if you can "unlock" the 856x480 resolution, you will be able to achieve 1x1 pixel mapping. You shouldn't need Powerstrip at all. I also would suggest 1120x600 for picture viewing, or anything else not "text" related...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that brings the next question. Does the Panny upscale 848x480 to 852x480, but not downscale 856x480 (with 4 pixels of overscan?) Also, how do the two compare? I will try both out but I was wondering about how the Panny internal scaler deals with the two.

I know the Matrox Parhelia can do 852x480, but I would rather not spend another $300 if I can avoid it. I also wonder how much it improves the picture, and how one would quantify the difference.

What refresh rate are you using? 60Hz?

Why would 1120x600 provide a better format for pictures? How do you characterize the difference?

Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
491 Posts
Phoenix - 1120x600 isn't "better" for pictures in a resolution or picture quality sense, you can just fit more of the picture on the screen...

and I ensured that I had 1x1 pixel mapping by adjusting my panny's timing settings - probably losing about 4 pixels for overscan...

Oh, and sorry for the late reply...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.