AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Panny TH-50PX600U from '06. If I'm not mistaken, it's native resolution is 720p.

I'm wondering what I should be setting my output to from both my Series 3 TiVo and my Playstation 3. The TV handles 1080i/1080p input OK, but if the native resolution is 720p, is this what I should be sending it? Would that give me a better picture?

(I'm running HDMI from both TiVo/PS3 to my Denon AVR-2807, then HDMI to my Panny. The Denon is capable of 1080p HDMI switching.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
998 Posts
It is actually a 768p plasma. It can accept 1080i and 720p. I do most of my viewing OTA HD, so I can't help you with how to set up Tivo. I'd try both settings and see which one looks better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/12911504

Why not just choose the setting that looks best to you?

Well....that's just crazy talk!

When I have some free time, I plan on comparing them. I just wanted to see if there was a standard out there, i.e. "You should ALWAYS display in your native resolution", etc. I guess its different from display to display?

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmclemore /forum/post/12911590

When I have some free time, I plan on comparing them. I just wanted to see if there was a standard out there, i.e. "You should ALWAYS display in your native resolution", etc. I guess its different from display to display?

Unfortunately, there are no hard & fast rules here because there are so many variables involved and some are unique to each individual's HT setup.

I've got a 50PX50U that does a rather poor job with 480i/720p content, but looks very good with 480p (through a cable box
) and 1080i.

I also have a PRO-150FD that looks great w/480i/480p/720p/1080i, which is not surprising because it is a Pioneer.

Try various input connections (e.g. component, HDMI, CableCARD w/ANT) with your peripheral devices (e.g. STB, DVD player) to determine what looks best to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts