AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Net gear and it just seems to give me more problems. I want to buy a good router with out it Killen my pocket book. Some thing easy to set up so i can finely share.

Thanks so much

Simon

:cool:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tarfin
D-link's are cheap...
That they are. Reliable? No.

I bought a D-Link because I thought it would be a great router (it got an editor's choice from cnet, I believe). It wasn't.

The D-Link I had (Wirless G router) rebooted every couple of hours. Translation: every couple of hours I lost my internet connection and DHCP was re-initialized. It turns out, this is a pretty common problem with these routers.

I bought an SMC wireless G router and have had no problems at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have and MR814 and it just is not working with my 5040. I could use some help if you have the time.

Thanks

Simon:cool:

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
When you say it doesn't work, what are you trying to do. I'd be surprised

if it wouldn't net connect. If it doesn't IVS, most likely it is config problem.

If it doesn't do local LAN IVS, it might be because the router doesn't

support loopback. If it can stream HQ over 802.11g, try Buffalo WBR-G54

or Linksys WAP54G.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First let me say thank you for helping a new guy,.

Let me start from the beginning.

I have a Wireless Netgear MR814 Cable/DSL Router & a 5040

I am hard wired to the replay with the Netgear Router. My Rtv name is ken-00004-54832-33285 and the port is 600000. I can see all my shows on Dvarchive DVR Explorer and Poopli in the My show data base but I can not receive a show from some one or send one.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I love discussions about routers. No matter what router someone just *loves*, there will be someone else who hates it with equal passion. It's amazing both how easy and how hard they can be to manage...

I have an old Linksys BEFSR41, and it works just fine. I don't love it, I don't hate it. I also have an Airport Extreme that I use for wireless for both my Mac and PC laptops.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to Staples and got a Linksys Router, And now all works just fine. Thank you every one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are a lot of people with a rebooting D-Link DI-624 (their current 802.11g router). In fact, the daily channel guide download triggers the router to reboot! The DI-624 uses either an Interstil or Atheros based chipset, as do the Netgear 802.11g products, and I hear those have a reboot problem as well.

I'm about to replace my router with a Buffalo or maybe a Linksys model...both are based on a Broadcom chipset which seems to be more reliable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.