AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thanks to anyone reading my maiden post on AVS and for all the great info I've already picked up scanning the forums.

I recently purchased a used 92" Stewart Firehawk G3 on something of a whim to satisfy a longstanding interest in front projection. I bought it with the plan of buying one of the mid-range 1080p projectors currently available (epson 8350 or 8700 ub, ae4000 etc.), but the seller threw in his Mitsubishi Hc1500 w/ new bulb with the screen. Long story short, I feel like I'm watching something that could be awesome but somehow always leaves me frustrated. Whether I'm noticing screen door effect, rainbows, lack of contrast, and so forth, I find myself constantly distracted from the experience.

So, here's my question. The reviews (albeit from 2007) on this projector are stellar, but I can't imagine myself ever agreeing with the reviewer's perceptions of picture quality (even 4 years ago). How far from this level of performance do I need to go to be truly satisfied? Will one of the above projectors give me a level of performance that will stand up to scrutiny? Will this even be possible without building a dedicated room (something I'm not interested in because the house is rented)? Would I be better off waiting until I can afford a mid-range JVC or something comparable? Sorry if this is an impossible question, but no review so far has given me a satisfying answer. Much appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops, forgot to give some critical info:

-12 feet wide by 20 ft deep

-projector will be ceiling mounted and I have solid flexibility on placement

-Walls are light beige/yellow

-new carpet will be dark

-wall behind screen can be painted a dark color if necessary

-I like to sit close to the screen (-:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
How close do sit to your screen? A 1080P upgrade alone, will be a step up from the screen door effect. The 8700 will be a considerable step up in quality.

As wells as a Sony HW15 or HW20. There are plenty of current and not so current models that will give you what you're looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much for the speedy response.

Around 10 feet from the screen would be my preference with enough resolution. I forgot to mention, one of the most frustrating things about the hc1500 is rapidly moving images - Scrolling tickers are fine, but any real movement or action blurs noticeably.

There's also one other 'condition' - I have two dogs. Although we do everything possible to keep the house clean and dust free, it will never be hermetically sealed. I've read that the Epsons are prone to problems with dust blobs, is this also the case with sxrd types like the Sony or jvc?

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
Dust blobs on LCOS and DLP are very very rare as most things are sealed up and not exposed to dust directly.

I wouldn't worry about dust blobs THAT MUCH even on an LCD projector unless you want to keep the projector running very long-term and have it in a very dusty place. On my old LCD projector, the first dust blob I saw occurred after around 7000 hours of usage, and I did let dust collect too much sometimes. So the projector was already nearly on its way out by that time. Dust blobs for LCD can always be an issue, but it's not like it's a guarantee. After 5000 hours, my guess is about 1/4 of viewers will get a dust blob, but again that's a very wild guess.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbX /forum/post/20812364

Thanks much for the speedy response.

Around 10 feet from the screen would be my preference with enough resolution. I forgot to mention, one of the most frustrating things about the hc1500 is rapidly moving images - Scrolling tickers are fine, but any real movement or action blurs noticeably.

There's also one other 'condition' - I have two dogs. Although we do everything possible to keep the house clean and dust free, it will never be hermetically sealed. I've read that the Epsons are prone to problems with dust blobs, is this also the case with sxrd types like the Sony or jvc?

Went from a Mits HD1000 (similar to your HC1500)to a JVC HD250, huge upgrade. Sealed lightpath, no dust blobs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.