AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy I work with is going to try and modify my DVD player for SDI out, but what scalers offer SDI input and what do they cost? Is Vigatec the only one?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, but I'm new to the home side fo the industry. Is the Dune and the Vigatec the same thing?

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Vigatec is the company name.

They used to sell their 1280 unit, which was the "low end" unit (it wasn't that low-end, so that's why I have this in double quotes). The Dune is their higher end unit.

I'm not really sure how they have things positioned now. I think they are still selling the GVC-1280 unit, but the Dune is their primary product now.

Why not just go to their site and see? http://www.vigatec.de

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
All Vigatec scalers can be modified with a single or triple SDI unit (at least the newest versions). The only other scalers that allow SDI are TAW's Rock+ and Key Digital's new Leeza. If you haven't seen SDI then I encourage you to do so. It is a huge difference over standard analog inputs!

Thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just a reminder, the Teranex also has SDI in. In fact, it only processes in the SDI / HD-SDI domain... no analog inputs or outputs at all.

Its cost may be prohibitive to most, but that doesn't mean it's not available to purchase.

- David Eddy

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I discovered that the Snell & Wilcox have an SDI output card for the Proceed (PMDT), and a matching SDI input card for their Interpolator. The SDI signal between the cards is heavily encrypted to meet the Hollywood standards of course.

Oz

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Hey,

If you guys want to talk about scalers in general (not just HT stuff), why not consider KeyDigital 2000HD.

It's a $12,000 - $15,000 (depending on where you buy it) scaler that has SDI and component inputs.

Of course, it's in the same catagory as terranex and S&W (a bit beyond the normal HT budget capability).

The interesting thing about it is that it has been around for a WHILE - just shows you that KeyDigital had their eye on the ball way earlier than any of us though about SDI as a useful HT tool..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Duell,

Snell & Wilcox produce an SDI card for the Proceed PMDT and Meridian 800 DVD players - we call them 'ISLE' cards - and they do output encrypted SDI.

The Interpolator Gold has had 2 available SDI input ports since it was first introduced many years ago, and they will accept standard SDI as well as the encrypted version transparently - so you can use the Interpolator Gold with any SDI source (e.g. other modified DVD players etc..)

Of course we also have a number of other up /down and crossconverters with only SD / HDSDI inputs and outputs from about £20K upto £150K!

Hope this helps,

Richard Ansell

Snell & Wilcox

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.