AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there definitive answers to what scan rate input works best on any given display? And if not, are there general rules to abide by in choosing... I will give some examples and hopefully someone can answer!

1. I work for an A/V install company, and one of the projectors we use is a Sim2 model 30 which has a stated resolution of 1280x720. In such a scenario, we also use a Cablevision HD box that can either be locked on to one resolution format, or set to 'pass-through' 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i.

It would seem that 720p should be the choice, but then aren't I relying on the cable box to scale any resoultion other than 720p to 720p for output? But then again, the Sim2 projector probably has a scaler of some sort also, along with Faroudja processing. So am I wasting the better? scaler of the Sim2?

I may very well be mixing apples and oranges mentioning the Faroudja processing along with my scan rate question- I don't know.

2. I personally own a Mitsubishi Ws-65815 TV, and wonder how that fits in to the scan rate issue. I know it does 1080i and 480p, so should I allow only those two scan rates to pass through the cable box? Or should I experiment to see which scales better, the box or the TV?

3. If I am installing a so-so DVD player into a very good TV, should I still set the player's output to progressive, or leave it on interlaced and leave the processing to the TV?

I suppose with experimentation, I can figure out my own set, but I'm trying to lay some foundation for an install where we are leaving the same day, and don't have time to do much visual experimenting.

THANK YOU for any responses, and please feel free to stray off topic if you feel it would help in understanding this topic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also- Does HDMI always result in a better picture for HD? I had been told that on my RP-CRT set, I should use the 480p output from my DVD player instead of up-converting to 1080i via HDMI.

Would the same apply to HD sources? Thanks...

·
Registered
380 Posts
For questions 1 and 2 I would use the pass-through setting and let the sim2 and TV do any required scaling. For question 3 you probably have to do some testing to see what looks better to you, But unless your DVD player is really crappy it might be better to use the deinterlacing of the DVD player.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.