AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, i've finally made my way from the projectors forums to the screens forum after about 6 months...whew.

Now that I'm about to be a proud and (probably) boisterous 711XU owner, can any other 711XU owners chime in with which screen works for them? I would image some kind of high contrast screen since there seems to be more lumens than contrast.

Are most people using Greyhawk? Or the Da-lite high contrast screens? Or DIY? And if you're running a high contrast low refelctive screen, are you keeping the lamp in high gear?

Thanks,

HTC

·
Registered
297 Posts
Did you really pull the trigger HT? Congrats, bubbly and a cigar are in order!

Prefect put together a HCCV for his 711 but hasn't posted a full review yet that I saw anyway. He posted pics of his very cool DIY frame set up a few weeks ago. Also search on username dm and thread; greyhawk vs Universal Grey Paint vs Pull down shade . He posted quite a few pics with different screen materials a while back.

Now go close the thread on the pj forum you started for last minuite waffling. We're still trying to talk you into it over there. -bonedog

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bonedog, actually I'm about to pull the trigger. It involves a few extra steps since I'll be leasing it through my company. So I may as well lease the screen at the same time for a few more bucks a month.

The HCCV looks like it might be best bang for the buck. Since I'm so incredibly unhandy, I'd be reluctant about a DIY solution even involving just the frame, but if the savings are good enough...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Prefect did mention that some might find the 711/ HCCV combo too bright, but hadn't made his final assesment. It does seem like a good deal. I just ordered the 5x10 parkland plastic DIY material to hold me over untill I make a final choice on the screen for my 75U.

I may end up with the HCCV as a velcro or snap on option on top of the parkland frame eventually. -bd

·
Registered
457 Posts
HT,

Glad you're going to do it (did our campaign work?)

WRT the screen, I'm really happy with the HCCV wrapped around the Gatorfoam. I tried the Parkland stuff, but am too much of a klutz to do things well, and it didn't really seem like it was meant to be a screen anyway.

This looks professional and is really easy - I actually bought a circular saw just to cut the Gatorfoam. That was my first cut, and it turned out really well.

Also, the HCCV seems to work pretty well. It does help the contrast, but not to the extent that I had been hoping.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have a matte white DaLite model C pull down for my 711XU and I love it. I'm sure if I saw the picture on an expensive Firehawk or grayhwak I would be even more amazed, but the matte white is sufficient for my tastes (I did some DIY velvet masks that work great and help out a lot)...

Of course, I also used $6 worth of white paper drop cloths from Lowes for my huge outdoor screen, but I wouldn't recommend that for indoors :)

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Twilly - yes you guys gave me the nudge I probably needed. (Now if the leasing company will get off their butts!)

Is there another good low cost high contrast alternative to the grey or firehawks out there besides the HCCV?

Dbroome, I'm surprised to hear that a white screen works given the brightness of the 711. I've heard good things about the Model C.

Any other 711XU owners out there care to weigh in?

Thanks,

HTC

·
Registered
457 Posts
HTC,

I've finally looked at the HCCV side by side with leftover Parkland stuff and the Gatorfoam. I'm now a lot more impressed with it. At first, I didn't see the added contrast, because I wasn't looking side by side. Now it's much more apparent. However, it still seems more like added black than added contrast. I cannot see significantly more shadow detail, but now black things look black (okay, dark gray) rather than medium gray. Still, I'm not sure whether it's worth the extra hundreds of dollars.

I'm not a video perfectionist, so please take my opinions with that in mind...

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.