Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I get a few PM's each week asking about screen and projectors. I have no idea what to recommend to help this member. Maybe someone (even Bob Williams) can suggest something.

Here's the message.....

I´m probably going to buy the 5700. I´m working on getting prices in the UK for the projector and screens. But I can´t make my mind up on which screen to get and it´s giving me brain spasms.

I sit rather close(about 4,5m) to the screen and some seats are at an angle, so I think the firehawk is out of the question. My walls are white but the room has only one window so I can get it dark easily. So I THINK that if I keep the walls white I should buy a grayhawk or an dalite HCCV(but I don´t know the viewing angles of that one), but if I paint the ceiling wall and the screen walls dark/matt blue then I should get a Studiotek.

What do you think of this, have you seen the 5700/7200 with various screens?

Kind regards

Rob

PS - My best friend has the same question and he too is buying a 5700 - Richard are you listening?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Robert,

Cant thank you enough for your interest to help me out.

I also PM´d Bob, hopefully he will help some and post here on the forum so others can see what he recomends?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
... nothing yet

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Havent seen the 5700, but I know that Infocus likes to show their 7200 with the Firehawk and sometimes a Greyhawk. I would proably recommend the firehawk or equivalent with the 5700

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
The 5700 is considerably brighter than even the 7200, and the 7200 is very bright!

You might check out this thread, under SP7200 vs HT-1000, as I discuss the 5700 and screen types after doing a shootout of the 7200 vs the 5700 vs the HT-1000:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=303759

What I would STRONGLY recommend is a Greyhawk for anything under 105". The 5700 is stunningly bright, and the blacks are not very deep when it's displayed on my 92" Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision. In fact, this projector is so bright I probably wouldn't recommend a Firehawk for anything less than 115 inches, possibly a Da-Lite HC Cinemavision for anything in between.

Good luck, though - great projector!

JOHN

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Thanks guys.

I´d don´t think I can go for a firehawk because some of the seats here are at an angle, so I need something similar with better viewing angles.

From your info angilasaurus the studiotek sounds too bright(what is the max recomended screen size sitting at aprox. 16 feet?), maybe I should go for a grayhawk or a dalite HCCV(how´s the viewing angle of the HCCV compared to the others?)

Has the barrell distortion been fixed in the 5700?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I sit about 16 feet from the screen, I don´t really know how big I can go from that distance, but I thought I´d go for 100"??

I see on the IF website that they have two bulbs for the 5700, a 220 and 250w one.. is that right? Then I´d go for the 220 3k lasting one.. which is probably a little less bright.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keyser

On the 5700 I would not go much bigger than 100"

The resolution is down to 201 pixels per square inch on that set up

Rob

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Then 100" it is. But which one is still the big question.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Rob,

How are you acounting for viewing distance to screen width ratio? The larger the ratio, the lower the pixels per square inch that is acceptable.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scott

About two weeks ago a few of us ran a long thread trying to find an objective and measurable way of calculating optimal screen size for different projectors at differetn viewing distances.

remember that we are talking about the poiunt where a presentation ceases to look like film and suddenly looks like video, mainly due to pixel structure, oft called screen door. We are not talking about brightness.

We arrived at two points and both were essentially the same.

In essence there are three variables:

1) resolution of the PJ

2) Size of the screen

3) Viewing distance

1) Resolution of the screen

Measured in pixels. Therefore a matterhorn chipped DLP projector like the InFocus 5700 generates about 590k pixels (1024x576). Wheras the DWin 3 with it's Mustang DLp 1280 x 720 chip generates 922k pixels. the JVCSX21 is at 1600k and the Sony SXRD is up at a lustful 2100k.

2) Size of the screen

A 100" 16x9 screen measure 87 x 49 inches and is therefore covering 4263 inches. A 130' screen measures 113 x 64 inches and covers 7204 inches.

To make your pixels per square inch calculation divide the total pixels by the screen size. We found the optimal level was about 200-220 pixels per square inch (ppsi).

3) Viewing distance

Many of us found that 11 feet was a good benchmark. So let's take that at index 100. If you sit at 16 feet multiply your ppsi level by 16/11 or about 145%. This holds true as our ability to see screendoor changes at different viewing distances (think eye tests)

So my friend sits at 12 feet and will be buying an InFocus 5700. If he buys a screen much bigger than 84 inches, screen door will be an issue.

I hope this helps.

Rob

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Rob,

Understood. I wanted to make sure that you were taking viewing distance to screen width ratio into consideration. This has nothing to do with brightness, but everything to do with how visible the pixel structure is. To say that the 5700 should not be used on a screen larger than 100" due to its limited resolution is true only if you are sitting close to the screen. If you are sitting 3 screen widths away, the number of pixels per square inch can be 1/4 that as compared to 1.5 screen widths away while maintaining the same visibility or lack thereof of pixel structure.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scott

Hence the fact that viewing disctance is one of the three variables :)

"The larger the ratio, the lower the pixels per square inch that is acceptable."

True - sort of

PPSI is a fixed standard of about 210

It is driven byt eh three variables.

Big screen - sit further away or get a higher res PJ

High res PJ- sit closer or get a bigger screen!

Sitting close - higher res PJ or smaller screen

All the best

Rob

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Robert,

Duh, I didn't read the post where keyser stated that he was sitting 16 feet from the screen. Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.