Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody

i want to build a screen for my 1270 at 42" by 74" to give an 85" diagonal 16:9 what would the best covering for MDF be paint or something else

please note i'm in the uk

many thanks for you help

Mark

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
KBK's screen goo has been touted here as being on of the best coatings you can get. Do a search here for "screen goo". It'll give you about 1.5-1.6 gain, perfect for your 1270 at that size. It'll give you a really bright picture.

Wes

I have some Sony 1270 specific info on my website, check it out.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks will be looking into that,

what is plain old white paint like, ie gloss or matt or even a very light grey

thanks again

your 1270 guide is awesome

Mark

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mark,

You should take a look at the Screens forum , or maybe even try a search on that forum - lots and lots of useful information there.

However, to quickly answer your questions:

If you're using MDF, as a starting point you can use a basic painted finish - first sand it lightly (remember your dust mask!) then put on two coats of either matte white paint (Behr Ultrawhite is well thought of if you can get it - I can't) or, better, Artist's Gesso (from an art supply store). Use a spray gun or fine-textured roller e.g. foam.

For better results, use Ken's screen goo . There's lots of discussions of this stuff in the screens forum - you might try a search.

Do not under any circumstances attempt to use a gloss or semi-gloss finish for your screen - you will have terrible hot-spotting. The highest gloss recommended is 'eggshell' - even plain 'satin' is too specularly reflective for use as a screen.

Happy reading.

- David Eddy

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for your comments

i had searched in the screens forum but information overload.

peoples opinions and answers to specific questions are very very helpful

thanks again

Mark

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Mark,

Everything I've heard says you don't use a foam roller when building screens because they tend to introduce minute bubbles, you're better off using the other, furry?, kind of roller. This is what I used.

I actually went to a paint shop and explained my needs. They gave me the whitest white, no blue added (sometimes they add a tinge of blue to make it seem whiter). It was a flat white latex and was told to apply it in as many thin layers as I could stomach. The roller should be almost dry when you try this.

Results were very good. I used 3/4" cabinet ply as well. It has a completly finished surface on one side. Very smooth.

R-S

·
Registered
JVC RS40, Pioneer Elite Receiver, B&W Atmos in ceiling. Draper Onyx.
658 Posts
I used Behr Pure Ultra White. I don't know what this is equivalent to as far as gain is concerned but it did the job for me. It was also very cost effective.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nedder
Do you want the MDF to be very smooth (sand lightly you said) or have a little bit of tooth? What grit paper?
This really belongs in the Screens forum but... (My apologies in advance to the moderation team.)

No matter how finely you sand wood, it will always have enough 'tooth' for paint to key properly. The rule of thumb I use is, if it doesn't feel smooth to the touch it's not sanded enough. With that said you shouldn't go overboard, if the surface gets shiny then that's too smooth. I'd suggest going no higher than 240-grit for raw wood, 120-grit should be fine enough.

Also, a tip for woodworking newbies: The first coat of something you put on wood will 'raise the grain' - that is, the wood will absorb some of the moisture from the wet paint and will cause bits of the wood to stick up, giving you a rough surface. That's why you put a priming coat on wood, and why one coat is never enough (on raw wood). So the actual procedure is, sand (using 120 grit), dust thoroughly, paint with a primer or thinned final coat, let dry, sand until smooth again (use 240-320 grit), then add two coats of your finish paint in the usual way.

So people planning to use Ken's goo on raw wood should start with a thinned coat of some matte white paint, sand it, then use his primer and topcoat as per his instructions.

- David Eddy

(I keep surprising myself with the information I have hiding in my head... sings of a mis-spent youth I guess. :) )

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by captain scarlet
Hi everybody

i want to build a screen for my 1270 at 42" by 74" to give an 85" diagonal 16:9 what would the best covering for MDF be paint or something else

please note i'm in the uk

many thanks for you help

Mark
search "blackout cloth" or Curtain blackout"in the screen section,theres even a post how to build the frame wrapped in black value or felt,very professional and you don`t have to deal with paint....

total about 70.00-100.00:)

ts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.