AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m purchasing a Sanyo Z3 next week, and am still considering what screen I am going to purchase. I am considering the Carada Criterion screens, but I am not sure on screen type (being new to the whole HT thing).

Room is 13.5 x 11.5. I will have the Z3 shelf mounted (basement) with a throw range of 12 ft (due to dimensions of the basement “office†where I’m doing this) and have decided on a 92in diagonal (wall size, etc) 16:9 screen.

Walls are a very faint light green (talk to the wife).

The room has a couple of windows, but I’m investing in some blackout blinds that will extend out from the windows a couple inches. There will probably be a little “glow†during the daytime, but it should be minimal. I will have to mount the screen partially behind a door, but I do want to have the ability to keep the door cracked open if need by for some air (but it won’t let in too much light at night).

I will be using the projector and screen for a combination of computer/xbox gaming from my desk, and movie watching from a couch. Seating distance will be desk, appx 9 ft, couch, appx 11 ft.

The projector calculator states that at a 12 ft throw and 9-11 ft seat range, the minimum screen size with the Z3 is 92 in, BUT, it says that it may be “brightâ€, and that I should turn the brightness down, or increase the screen size. I really do not want to increase screen size, and I figure this way I can run the projector in low light theatre black mode (for fan noise, bulb life, etc).

So my question would be: What screen surface is recommended? I prefer bright colors (like a review I saw on the high gain Vutec Silverstar), but with the fact that I will be in “bright†mode anyways due to the viewing distance/screen size, what surface should I consider?

I’ve read a ton, and most recommend the grey (.8 gain) surfaces for the LCDs (including the Z3). Would this be bright?

Another user recommended bright white from the following review.

"The Carada Brilliant White screen would be an excellent choice for those of you that have any of the 1280x720 LCD projectors like the Panasonic AE-700, Sanyo Z-3, Hitachi TX-100 or any other high performance LCD projector."

Or is CCW the way to go?

Thanks for any insight, I'm overloaded with information

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Personal point of view really. Here are the basic pros:

Gray: Improved contrast, better for the room reflections since it is a lighter colored room, etc....

White: Better color accuracy, more vibrancy.

What I would suggest is getting some samples. David can send those out to you and you can get a feel for what they each do. As I mentioned, I think there is a lot of personal preference on what you are trying to accomplish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.