AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, about a year ago i bought the elt-525 5.0 system from ********** which came with a denon avr-1090. i hooked everything in, put the input selector to the 5 channel surround thing and have been using it just as is every since.

I've got my TV and xbox plugged in, which i use to play dvds. those are the only two inputs i use regularly, though when people come over i'll sometimes plug in the ipod into the cord i'm running through the back. i've got the tv audio running through the receiver, though most of the time i just use the built in speakers on the TV, because i don't have a universal remote and it's a pain to mess w/ too many remotes.

i use my speakers for video games, dvds, and very occasionally music. i DO play lots of rock band when my friends come over, if that counts as music instead of HT use.

my question is:

are there other settings i should be bothering with? I am finally considering buying a subwoofer, but figured i should try and optimize my settings with what i got first and see how it sounds. I'm obviously a novice as far as HT goes, so i'm not willing to invest hours and hours of time or money into equipment for measuring sound levels, or anything like that.

as far as subs go, i'm thinking ed a2-300, but i'm willing to take suggestions if you think there are better options for a sub for this system.

thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
A powered sub is recommended regardless of settings. I can't recommend particular settings otherwise.

With five speakers, as long as you ran auto setup, you should be in good shape. If you want to play around with channel levels, get an SPL meter from Radio Shack. If you really want to dig in, you will need to get an audio analyzer program, and learn to use it. And possibly be willing to add accoustic treatments to your room. Most people won't want to do that.

A lot of people don't like their dialog from movies. In these cases, I suggest considering better center speaker placement. Maybe adjusting your AVR's dynamic range setting and/or bumping center level.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.