Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

I have been helping a friend build a home theater room in his basement for the last couple of weeks and we're winding down to the final touches. The only problem we have now is what should be the first movie we watch in the new home theater room?!?!? I'm talking 5803 Denon receiver with 7.1 Surround (I'm sure most of you already know what its capable of) And he's got a new Pj coming this week for a 96x48 screen. He asked me today what I thought should be the first movie to watch, and I told him thats a tuffy!

So far I'm split between these - Gladiator, T2, Abyss, Aliens, Saving Private Ryan. Not in any particular order, just how I wrote them down looking through past Sound and Cine winners.

Any other suggestions for us? What am I overlooking.....

Thanks All..

NS

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
This question has been asked recently with some really good ideas - try the search engine to see if it'll pull it up for you.

Another thing you might wanna try would be to do a "best of" thing to show off the new setup - especially if you cannot decide which movie to show!

Enjoy and show us some pics!

pam

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
toy story and toy story 2

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Monsters, Inc.

$0.02

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Matrix

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If you've got a multi-disk DVD player or a jukebox-like changer, play chosen scenes from multiple movies; it'll get the point across at least as well as a whole movie, but not take as much time.

That is, of course, if your real point is just to show it off. If the point is instead to actually watch a movie, then it should be whichever one you most feel like when the time comes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks all for the suggestions, I think were on our way!! 1st layer of drywall is up and now were just waiting for the 5/8" for the 2nd layer to be delivered. After that, its showtime!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
LOTR or SW EpII would be my choices. Both are a feast for the eyes and ears, and both look as good as any DVD's I've seen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dahrich
Starwars - Attach of the Clones - can't be beat.
hmm....never seen ATTACH of the clones. any good? ;)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
For me it would have to be either The Matrix or Saving Private Ryan(DTS). LOTR is a close third choice. Star Wars Ep1&2 are great for showing off your system but I don't really like the story. You can easily find a movie with great special effects, but not one with a great story, directing and acting. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Goi
You can easily find a movie with great special effects, but not one with a great story, directing and acting. :)
And "The Matrix" has a great story and acting??!:p

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Racer X. thanks, you mean my HTPC? Erm, its anything but sexy! Heck its a plain jane Enlight 7237! I didn't even bother with a HTPC case :)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I would guess you would want to show off the capabilities of the whole package, i.e. sound, picture. Saving private ryan is a great movie, but this does not "show off" a projector because of the lack of color. I remember the movie being all sort of grayish. Same thing with the matrix, not much color. Actually, all the movies you listed don't have that much vivid color to them, all pretty dark.

LotR has great cinematography (won an Oscar for it I believe) and attack of the clones isnt bad, although the guy who plays anakin ruins the movie.

Try to think of movies you like that have good sound range, good colors. Jurassic Park might be ok if you have a good sub.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.