AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my current situation and hence my need for a new camcorder:

I have a new Macbook 2.4 which does not have firewire.

Therefore I'm looking to get a new camcorder which can transfer via USB so I can use iMovie, etc.

I've been reading about issues with Macs and AVCHD so should I stay clear of those?

Is DV still an option for me? Will it transfer via USB and not firewire?

What about the dozens of miniDV tapes, is there a camcorder that will still play those yet utilize the latest technologies?

What models should I be looking at?

TIA

·
Registered
8 Posts
hmmm....From what I read, imovie 08 and final cut pro/express works fine with AVCHD. I guess it'll depend on who you ask. If you want to deal with the hassle of miniDV's, then by all means go with a miniDV camcorder. The quality is still a lot better then AVCHD. I think there are adapters for USB to firewire.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no adapters exist for usb to firewire conversion. God knows, I've checked and researched.

So miniDV is still alive and kicking even with AVCHD, huh? That's good to know it isn't going away any time soon.

What camcorders should I look at that can utilize the USB connection for editing and burning?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Tape is not better than AVCHD and vise versa....you cannot make such a bold statement without backing it up.....This site will not steer you in the right direction if you dont do you own research and listen to ppl who make bold statements like that with no evidence....

the short answer is it all depends on whos looking at the video....they both use different compression therefore cannot be compared head to head....

BUT if you want to just visually compare, then you have biased opinions hence the answer you received above

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I guess it'll depend on who you ask and what you prefer. To me, AVCHD is still behind from miniDV. If you pan around or move while recording in AVCHD, there are noticeable little horizontal bars. The video quality, at least on my Sony TG1, is rather soft compare to miniDV. AVCHD is also highly compressed compared to miniDV.

In the end, I guess it's all personal preference. Everyone has different opinions on what they like or prefer.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC7 /forum/post/15419924

If you pan around or move while recording in AVCHD, there are noticeable little horizontal bars. The video quality, at least on my Sony TG1, is rather soft compare to miniDV.

Well, there you go.... if you use TG1 for comparsion

TG1 is known to give a slightly softer image, even when compared with other larger AVCHD camcorders!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J /forum/post/15417045

Here is my current situation and hence my need for a new camcorder:

I have a new Macbook 2.4 which does not have firewire.

Therefore I'm looking to get a new camcorder which can transfer via USB so I can use iMovie, etc.

I've been reading about issues with Macs and AVCHD so should I stay clear of those?

Is DV still an option for me? Will it transfer via USB and not firewire?

What about the dozens of miniDV tapes, is there a camcorder that will still play those yet utilize the latest technologies?

What models should I be looking at?

TIA

In my opinion... avchd is a good technology, but too new to be called a tried/true one. At present avchd may be a great delivery format but it absolutely stinks as an editing medium. It's quality I would say is now almost equal to that of mpeg2 with exception to the above noted panning situations. It is true that it will break up a bit more in faster panning motions.

Combining the older tape technology and the new tapless technology has not taken place at the consumer level but it has at the higher end prosumer level. So unless you have some serious money to spend.... this is not an option

So If you're a gadget guru then what you want is a tapeless avchd cam..... they certainly are more convenient. But if you want something that will promise good quality with a trusted technology.... albeit it a tad more inconvenient, then tape is what you want

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J /forum/post/15417712

Nope, no adapters exist for usb to firewire conversion. God knows, I've checked and researched.

So miniDV is still alive and kicking even with AVCHD, huh? That's good to know it isn't going away any time soon.

What camcorders should I look at that can utilize the USB connection for editing and burning?

time to catch up with the new technology... you don't need a usb connection to edit avchd, just get a camcorder that will record directly to the sd card... remove the card, plug it into your mac, and start editing... i believe that the canon hf11/hg20/hg21/etc. will give you the choice of where you want to record the video.

tape is dead, period.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.