AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Room: 21'x14'x8' (294 sqft) (2352 cuft)

Projector: Optoma HD72

Screen: 112" (diagonal) 96" (length) 58" (height)

Seating approx: 12' away from screen

Sub: Infinite Baffle Subwoofer (2 x 15" subs) w/ 1500w amp.

Trying to find the "best bang for the buck" for surround sound speakers (5.0) I am not sure what my budget should be..obviously I want a great home theater without spending a ton of cash. I'm thinking $1500 +/- $200 for speakers. I will ultimately go to 7.1 surround sound but, decided I will start with 5.1 then in a yr. or two I will upgrade two more speakers.

I also don't know what would be the best receiver for my system (little help would be great here) I'm thinking I could get something that is good for around $500

Any help would be apprieciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Your budget balance is about right with $500 for the AVR and $1500 for the speakers. As for the receiver, there are several in that price range from Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha and Harmon Kardon to name a few. All have loyal followings and are decent mid-fi products. All offer up nice feature sets that you need and in that price range don't have all of the extra bells and whistles that you probably won't need or use all that much. You might want to peruse the AMP's, receivers and processors forum to get some good feedback on all of them.

As for speakers in that price range, you have tons and tons of choices. Some of the more populular brands on this forum are Klipsch, Energy, Infinity, Polk, JBL, Def-Tech, Paradigm, PSB to name but just a few. Internet Direct brands to check out would be Ascend, Aperion, AV123, Axiom, HTD, HSU, SVS and Emotiva.

As for what's going to SOUND good to YOU.... the only person who can tell you that is YOU. Each of us hear things differently. Your room interaction and final electronics rig will also come into play with regard to how a speaker will ultimately perform. So, no one can point to brand XYZ and tell you they are going to rock your world. That brand may be GREAT for them, but to you they may sound like dog doo. Your best bet is to grab some reference material and a journal and start auditioning for yourself. Listen to as many different brands as you can.

Trust your own ears.... they won't fail you.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umma 10 /forum/post/0

Sub: Infinite Baffle Subwoofer (2 x 15" subs) w/ 1500w amp.

I'm "assuming" you are building your IB sub yourself? Honestly, DIY is where you will get the biggest "bang for your buck" with regard to speakers. Why not go DIY with the whole shebang?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts