AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a projector a month ago and now have about $500 US, I'll use $150 for a DVD writer, and I was wondering what else I should get.

It doesnt have to be HT related, in fact the only HT thing I think I would want is speaker brakets so I can finally put my rear speakers in the back rather than on the right side of the room, and maybe a few DVDs but I'm afraid I'll just watch them once and then let them collect dust like I do with the movies I record from TV.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I was gonna get a DVD writer but since they only have 4.7GB per disc it would take me 20 DVDs just to copy my current movies from my PC to DVD and 4.7GB is only half the capacity of normal DVDs so you cant even copy DVDs.

Anyway, I decided to get a new tape drive instead with 35/90GB per tape, so I can fit all my movies on only 1-2 tapes and backup my PC on a 3rd, I can also watch the movies right off the tape, most tape drives wont let you do that, byt my current one does that to but its only 15/30GB per tape so I would need 7-8 tapes and they cost more than the sony 35/90GB tapes, mine is also much slower.

I would highly recommend a tape drive to anyone looking for cheap mass storage, the drives may be expensive but after the cost per GB is very low. Its also great for what they were originally made for: backups. If you decide to get one for playing movies, make sure its supported by the 1Safe backup program which is the only tape program that lets you use a tape drive as if it was a hard drive.

The single disadvantage to tape drives is that the access time is much slower because it has to FF/REW the tape to the file you want, but big deal if it takes up to a minute to FF to the movie file if its at the end of the tape, it gives you time to prepare the popcorn :D.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.