AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Samsung HLN5065W will be arriving shortly and I was going to originally have my DVD player plug into Component 1 (if I remember reading on these forums, it said to use Component 1 over any of the others) and use the DVI port for HDTV via Comcast.

Upon reading threads about the Bravo, Denon and Samsung DVI DVD players, I am considering purchasing one for the better DVD quality. There are only a few HDTV channels/shows available anyway.

Any suggestions on which route to take? Keep it the way I originally planned or make the switch to a DVI DVD player? In your opinion, would using component inputs for HDTV be really that bad?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Zenith is supposedly coming out with a DVI DVD player before Christmas that will also have an ATSC tuner in it. That way you could have some OTA HD channels and your DVDs over DVI (enough acronyms :) )

The reason people (including Samsung) suggest using Component 1 is that it only supports 480p resolutions and that is all DVDs typically are designed for.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I haven't heard of any Comcast users getting a box with DVI enabled, to this point.

I have Comcast (Cherry Hill, NJ) and they gave me a Scientific Atlanta 3100-HD box, component out only.

Someone else here got a box with a DVI port, but it's not enabled by Comcast.

·
Registered
372 Posts
schulzpm,

I thought both DVI and Component supported 480p thru 1080i and S-Video and Composite supported NTSC (pseudo 480p resolution)???

Michael

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Datalux
schulzpm,

I thought both DVI and Component supported 480p thru 1080i and S-Video and Composite supported NTSC (pseudo 480p resolution)???

Michael
The Component 1 inputs on the Samsung DLPs are labelled to support only 480p. Component 2 does do the HD resolution. This is how it is on my HLN507W.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
mpestrada74:

I have a DVI cable coming from my DLP that I plug into the STB or the DVIoutput DVD player, depending on which one I am watching. I tried out the male-to-female DVI cable from the DLP and two male-to-male cables (one from the STB and one from the DVD) but I got sparkles. I am still interacting with the company I got tohe cables from to see if this will work with a new cable (or two). Some folks have this set up for switching and it apparently works.

Otherwsie, there are DVI switches out there from Gefen but they are quite expensive. I am guessing that a less expensive switch will pop up soon or else the receiver manufacturers will produce some receivers capable of DVI switching.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
mpestrada74:

I have a DVI cable coming from my DLP that I plug into the STB or the DVIoutput DVD player, depending on which one I am watching. I tried out the male-to-female DVI cable from the DLP and two male-to-male cables (one from the STB and one from the DVD) but I got sparkles. I am still interacting with the company I got tohe cables from to see if this will work with a new cable (or two). Some folks have this set up for switching and it apparently works.

Otherwsie, there are DVI switches out there from Gefen but they are quite expensive. I am guessing that a less expensive switch will pop up soon or else the receiver manufacturers will produce some receivers capable of DVI switching.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got off the phone w/ a Comcast tech and was told that their boxes do have DVI outputs but they are not enabled. :confused: The tech said that they came to them this way from Motorola. He didn't know why the ports were disabled, but he thought it was for "cost-effectiveness". This just tells me that he doesn't really know the reason why.

This is the link where I found the info on the unit Comcast uses. There is a .pdf link there as well which shows the DVI port. It does have a note stating that the DVI port isn't available/enabled on all units.

Motorola 5100 Used by Comcast

Motorola 51000 User's Manual .PDF

So since I'll be using component out, I need to use either input 2 or 3, correct? I also read somewhere to not use the progressive output on my DVD, but rather let the TV handle it. Is this true of the 5065 or only the 507?

I guess I'll also be looking into a DVI capable DVD player.

Thanks all for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.